newbie needs info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thor1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
im new to the sport and im doing research on equipment before i buy any, i would like some information and suggestions on regs bcs and dive computers (especially the computers) as to which is the best and what ones to stay away from and what to look for. i plan on using it for recreational diving now and possibly tech diving in the future. any information would be greatly appreciated.

thor1:
im new to the sport and im doing research on equipment before i buy any, i would like some information and suggestions on regs bcs and dive computers (especially the computers) as to which is the best and what ones to stay away from and what to look for. i plan on using it for recreational diving now and possibly tech diving in the future. any information would be greatly appreciated.

The search function is your friend on this topic.

My opinion -- BP -wing, hogarthian reg set-up. Weight belt, not intergrated. A weighted STA will help trim ya out and take some weight off the waist.
Continous piece webbing on the harness with Hog d-rings
Sealed 1 st stage high performance regs ( Apeks, SP, Atomic etc )
Single tank BC for a single tank, none of this works for singles and doubles crap.
Start there and you won't be ebaying stuff in a few months.

check out suunto computers, they are a favorite on this board, i have the vyper and love it, it's up to you if you want wrist or console..

Welcome to the diving world!! I second the thought on checking out Suunto Computers. I have used this brand for nearly ten years and have never had a failure. Also, I recommend a weight intergrated BC. They are much more comfortable and you can quickly adjust your weight as needed. I used to use a weight belt for years, but when they came out with the intergrated BC I tried one and was sold. It's all I use now and I love them. My first was a SeaQuest and my current one is a Halcyon. There are many good brands out there, it's just a matter of ones preference. As for anything, you get what you pay for. Don't know what kind of diving you'll be doing, but what ever it is make sure you have the right equipment for the environment you'll be diving in. To get a better feel for what you'll be needing, talk to your LDS and other experienced divers. Again, there are many quality brands out there and a lot of it comes down to personal preference. So take your time and do your homework before you make a purchase. You can always bounce more questions here on the SB and I'm sure you'll get some great advice. There's tons of experience here, so use it to your advantage.

Respectfully,

Fred

thor1:

Take your time. You can go to www.scubadiving.com for equipment reviews.
Rent, talk to people you dive with, especially instructors on dive boats if possible.

You may also want to invest in something like the PADI encyclopedia of diving to become more familar with various technologies.

I bought my first scuba equipments last July. I loved everything I have except my Sherwood Avid BCD and Cressi-sub Ellipse regulator so later I changed my BCD. My regulator will changed soon to Posidison. Sherwood Avid felt so cramped and Ranger feels so much better and more freedom. For my regulator, it is not suitable well enough for diving in cold water (below 55 degree).

I am very happy with Zeagle Ranger LTD BCD and Sherwood Wisdom.

Just go for good ones on BCD and regulator! My word of advice, try on different types of BCD (ie. jacket style, back inflate, and etc...) and choose which one is the most comfortable and suitable for your diving needs.

Talk with the folks at your LDS, read the equipment reviews on-line, read the different threads on Scubaboard, and definitely call Larry at ScubaToys. This is what I did to pick my equipment (except my BC), and I love everything (except my BC)! :wink: Larry at ScubaToys was probably the best resource I used since we could really talk about the pros and cons and I could ask a lot of questions. Also, Scubatoys carry so many different brands of everything that he doesn't push one over the other like my LDS does.

As far as a computer goes, we chose not to go with Suunto because of its conservativism. I'm not trying to start a debate about the Suunto vs other computers, just pointing out why we made the choice we did. We went with the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2 and the Aeris AI and love both of them.

As far as a BC is concerned, there are many on this board who like the BP/wings setup. I dive with a jacket style BC, and although I'm switching to a back inflate, I don't want to go as far as the BP/wings since I'm just a rec diver. I think it is important for you to figure out how you like your BC configured and what you want to carry on your body. I'm a minimalist and absolutely HATE having doo dads hanging and stuck everywhere. I want a light BC that has no restrictions or obstructions, which is why I'm switching from a Diva to a Zeagle Zena. Conversely, a friend of mine loves her Diva QD since she loves it's weight and the ability to put a zillion things all over her body and in the pockets. She claims she needs the security of knowing that she has 2 of everything stowed somewhere on her body.

Just food for thought.

If you are even considering the possibility of moving onto tech, or even advanced specialties such as deep, or wreck, get technical oriented gear now. You will be well served in your quest to move forward by diving a Bp/w setup. The gear is streamlined, modular and infinitly adaptable. Fred Tagge offers great deals on plates (and STA's), all of the same features as the "Big 3" without the big $$. There are a handful of places to pick up a good wing, Tech Diving Limited, Oxycheq, Halcyon, Dive-Rite. Suunto makes great computers that can also be used in guage mode later on.

Good Luck!

My buddy likes his Suunto Gekko computer as a nice entry level basic computer thats easy to use according to him.

thanks for all the information it was a great help i have narrowed it down to several possibilities depending on what i can afford, for bcds the zeagle ranger or brigade, seaquest pro qd+ or balance, for regs its either apeks atx 50 or 200, aqualung legend lx supreme or atomic aqautics b1t2 and for computer the suunto d9, vytec or cobra, oceanic atom or pro plus 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom