Praise for Nite Rider

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just wanted to let folks know how impressed I am with the service I got from Nite Rider. I bought a Blackwater 3000 in 2002 and during that time I took the head apart due to condensation. The next dive the light flooded. I had to resolder some connections and change a bulb but after a good flush and a more careful assembly it worked fine. A while back I bought a HID and use the nite rider less often. 2 weeks ago I was teaching a class and my HID died so the next day I took my nite rider. It flooded during that dive so I called them about repair costs. They said send it in. I explained it was out of warranty and I had mucked around inside. The light was returned with a new cable, a new light head and they did not charge me a nickle, including shipping.
How's that for service?

Niterider is a great company. In 1998 I bought two of their top of the line dual beam lights for use on a bicycle. Flooded both while riding in wet conditions. I sent them in (out of warranty) and got them both back with new electronics and an upgraded chip to control everything. They have great customer service. It's just too bad that they don't seem to get credit in diving circles like they deserve.

I also own a Blackwater 3000 that I love. It flooded twice and both times was repaired or replaced with no charge and no trouble. Has worked trouble-free for a long time now.

Is a fantastic recreational light and even good enough for tech diving--got me through my tech classes and I still take it along on tech trips as a back-up to my can light.

theskull

theskull:
I also own a Blackwater 3000 that I love. It flooded twice and both times was repaired or replaced with no charge and no trouble. Has worked trouble-free for a long time now.

Is a fantastic recreational light and even good enough for tech diving--got me through my tech classes and I still take it along on tech trips as a back-up to my can light.

theskull
I should mention the flood occured at 260fsw so you can't really blame nite rider.

It seems like there is a theme developing...are they prone to flooding? Is there a design flaw with their sealing method?

No trouble with mine at all for 2 1/2 years. 110' max.

wedivebc:
I just wanted to let folks know how impressed I am with the service I got from Nite Rider. I bought a Blackwater 3000 in 2002 and during that time I took the head apart due to condensation. The next dive the light flooded. I had to resolder some connections and change a bulb but after a good flush and a more careful assembly it worked fine. A while back I bought a HID and use the nite rider less often. 2 weeks ago I was teaching a class and my HID died so the next day I took my nite rider. It flooded during that dive so I called them about repair costs. They said send it in. I explained it was out of warranty and I had mucked around inside. The light was returned with a new cable, a new light head and they did not charge me a nickle, including shipping.
How's that for service?

I've had excellent dealings with NiteRider ... Tom Carroll and Henry Hester set the gold standard for standing behind their products.

If only they made a focusable HID light ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rgerman95:
It seems like there is a theme developing...are they prone to flooding? Is there a design flaw with their sealing method?

No more so than other lights ... less so than many. What makes the company stand out is how they handle the product when it happens.

As a comparison, I flooded my Halcyon Helios 9 last November ... and it cost me nearly $800 to get it working properly again. When I flooded my Terkel light, it only cost me $90 for a replacement battery. And when I flooded my NiteRider HID it was repaired free of charge.

Dive lights flood ... if you dive often enough you WILL eventually flood yours. My dive buddy just flooded her rechargeable UK Light Cannon last night, in fact.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rgerman95:

The Niterider I was using was not a submersible light, I pretty much submersed it over a period of several hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom