New Titan or old Legend regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDiverDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I started diving last year, and over the year bought a bunch of used scuba sets, and now I have multiple sets of regulators.
I have been diving with the 'newest' set, a barely used / few years old Aqualung Titan 1st (DIN) + 2nd, + aqualung octopus. I expect it has been on less than 50 dives total, all of which in sweet water, half of them with me. No issues with this set. Bought new just before covid, used that year, and shelved during covid at which point I got it from the 1st owner. Diving computer confirms this.

In another sale I got an Aqualung Legend 2nd, nameless 1st (yoke, could be aqualung but isn't written on there), with the same aqualung octopus as the other set. Based on the other stuff in the sale (seaquest BCD, info from diving computer) I expect this set to be at least 15/20 years old. It is visually in great condition but I have no other info about it, as it was sold by an unrelated person after the original owner passed away. I have dis/re-assembled and cleaned the 2nd stages (inc intermediate pressure adjustment ), and so far the set works perfectly in the swimming pool. For obvious reasons (age of the set, and I'm not a qualified technician) I have not used it outside of the swimming pool.

So after this year is over, I want to get all my gear serviced and in top condition for next year. Since my collection is now more or less complete, I want to optimize my config. What would you suggest?

I dive in the Netherlands, so usually cold sweet water. After I get CMAS 2* I will also dive in the North Sea, which is cold salt water.

I have been considering a few options. Feel free to correct if my reasoning is wrong.
- Keep using the Titan because it is the youngest - less chance of failure if properly maintained.
- Start using the Legend. Despite the age, this was the best/most expensive model at that time. Is it 'better' than the new Titan though?
- Keep both, and use one for drysuit (the preferred one above), the other for pool / wetsuit (the remaining one) use. This is 'easy' as then I won't have to reconnect LP hoses for the drysuit all the time. Also, for exclusively pool use, DIY maintenance should be sufficient versus expensive servicing.
- Cannibalize both sets to make a single set with both the Titan and the Legend, and maybe add a long hose as well. I may have to cannibalize some others then to make a new pool set.
- Regardless of above, reconstruct tanks and regulator sets to a 2-1st stage config. Need to buy 2 new double DIN manifolds (I use 2 12L tanks for convenience, can do 2 dives before refilling) and ideally another 1st stage with DIN. 2 1st stages is safer w.r.t. freezing, but this is clearly the most expensive option. Downside: I expect to go into tech diving using for example double 8.5 within a few years (because most guys at my club do this), which would require me to update my config yet again soon.

Thanks!

I cannot directly answer your question, but I'll tell you my story.
I have an Aqualung Legend set which I bought in 2003.
It is an awesome reg, but as its closing to 20yrs, I think it's time for some new gear, even tho it works perfectly, Aqualung count them as discontinued, and as so, no more replacement parts (only the leftover, what you can buy from here and there)
There are many many older regs which are still used today and those are were beasts and built to last, but honestly, I can't tell they still build regs in the 00s to last, so for the comfort of my mind, i choose the replacement way.
If I were in the same shoes as you, I would choose the Titan, but if I had the luxury to keep both, I would do that till the Legend die. Mine are now starts to show its age by the purge button rubber getting cracky and such.

I cannot directly answer your question, but I'll tell you my story.
I have an Aqualung Legend set which I bought in 2003.
It is an awesome reg, but as its closing to 20yrs, I think it's time for some new gear, even tho it works perfectly, Aqualung count them as discontinued, and as so, no more replacement parts (only the leftover, what you can buy from here and there)
There are many many older regs which are still used today and those are were beasts and built to last, but honestly, I can't tell they still build regs in the 00s to last, so for the comfort of my mind, i choose the replacement way.
If I were in the same shoes as you, I would choose the Titan, but if I had the luxury to keep both, I would do that till the Legend die. Mine are now starts to show its age by the purge button rubber getting cracky and such.

What parts can you no longer get? I have catalogue, very few parts are NLA.

Keep both. Both great regs.

A photo of your first stage will help identify it. You should be able to tell from yoke knob, well at least if it's AL or not, and if it's big and heavy.

IMG_2977.jpeg

Does it look anything like this?

You know that diver that no matter how hard they try just can't dive, there are also technicians that can't technic

So why on earth would you give a technician your gear to stuff it up, when you can stuff it up perfectly, yourself

You will find instruction on here to fix anything

That is a first generation Legend first stage and second stage. My wife has one of those and I just serviced it a few days ago (me, not some dive shop hack) for a trip to Cozumel. All service parts are available and the regulator, first and second stage are as good if not better than anything you can purchase now new.

The Legend first stage is fully sealed. The Titan first stage has basically the same innards as the Legend but is not sealed. The Legend second stage is pneumatically balanced (yours appears to be non-adjustable), the Titan is a downstream design and fairly basic. The snowflake on the Legend second stage indicates it was intended for cold water use.

Getting the parts for the Legend to convert to DIN might be a challenge since AL/Apeks are kind of on the skids but AL does have a kit.

The first gen Legend was rated superior on the ANSTI breathing machine tests. The Legend first stage has ACD, the Titan does not. The ACD is somewhat controversial and there was an issue with the ACD loosing torque and backing out such that it could obstruct air flow. This is mostly a non-issue and not something I would loose any sleep over. The newest ACD has a ridge atop the ACD shutter valve to prevent occlusion of gas flow, the first gen is smooth on top of the ACD valve. A new (ACD) DIN kit will have the ridge atop the shutter valve

- Keep both, and use one for drysuit (the preferred one above), the other for pool / wetsuit (the remaining one) use. This is 'easy' as then I won't have to reconnect LP hoses for the drysuit all the time.

Just leave 2 inflator hoses on your preferred set all the time no need to remove when not being used just tuck it out of the way

B

I do not remember the early Legend as having an ACD. Easy to tell though. Just remove the dust cap and ACD would be clearly visible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom