3 Months of Diving - Where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gravity

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I want to spend our summer diving - mid-june to mid-sept - but we can't decide where to go. We are looking for a relatively inexpensive place to live, and I am partial to big animals, huge schools of fish, white sand beaches, and good fresh food (that I don't have to cook). I usually think the more remote and exotic, the better. Our favorite trip so far has been Galapagos. All suggestions welcome!!

My husband and I went to Thailand last July and it was by far one of our best vacations. We just got certified in scuba diving this past March in Grand Cayman so we haven't been diving in Thailand but while we were in Thailand last year, it was local knowledge that some of the best diving is in Ko Tao - a small island in Thailand. Since you will be spending quite some time there, there is also PLENTY of non diving activity. The airfare is expensive however, the dollar is stronger than the Thai Baht so your money will go a lot farther. The hospitality and service is bar none. The food is amazing and the the prices you will pay for 5 star hotels is far cheaper than anywhere in the Carribbean or Europe for that matter. Hope you consider it! You won't regret going there!

I don't know how cheaply it is possible to live there, but if I could pick ONE of our diving destinations to return to, it would be Australia. I loved the country, and the people were just delightfully warm and friendly. The beaches were beautiful, and the diving was phenomenal. I'd love to go back and see the West Coast, which is less touristy.

My husband and I want to spend our summer diving - mid-june to mid-sept - but we can't decide where to go. We are looking for a relatively inexpensive place to live, and I am partial to big animals, huge schools of fish, white sand beaches, and good fresh food (that I don't have to cook). I usually think the more remote and exotic, the better. Our favorite trip so far has been Galapagos. All suggestions welcome!!

3 months? Wow, lucky you!
1. your profile is completely blank so it is hard to tell you where when we don't know where you would be flying out from. Could you please give us a bit more info?
2. cheapest places I can think of would be Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Belize, or Utila.... you can get B&B type accomodations at any of those, rent a car and shop at local markets, etc. Not the best places for "big" animals but definitely the least expensive for a few months time and other stuff to do besides diving (lots of Mayan ruins, jungle tours, etc).
3. cheapest place I have heard about in the Pacific area would be Philippines, but I don't know that they are all that safe once you get away from the resorts. I have heard of people going to Fiji and staying in little hotels up near Nanunanu for cheap. There are a couple of "rustic' hotels there and dive shops and diving is supposed to be amazing there. Also heard of some little hotels on Taveuni Fiji for the same type of thing. The biggest expense with going to anywhere in Pacific though is the airfare costs!

The Galapagos is indeed a favorite of many people, but there is far more going on out there besides the random big critter.

The deal of the decade so far? The Philippines. Very inexpensive, friendly and exotic South Pacific diving at a fraction of the prices most North American divers are used to.

Cool stuff...

The Philippines is very safe. I'm a Canadian living here and have had zero problems, especially in dive resorts. The cost of living here is very inexpensive and the diving is fabulous. Look up the PPD, Philippine Paradise Divers if you are interested. You can get lots of help and we will be around to dive with you...:)

Look us up next time you are here RM, we'd love to dive with you. Terrific Jeepney photo by the way.

Looking more at the available time rather than the cost constraints I certainly recommend you investigate the Maldives. Absolutely stunning diving, in an area that may not have too much longer to go. I have no idea whether or how it is possible to live there cheaply, but I would certainly find out.

I'll third the Philippines. Or Malaysia, Indonesia. That whole area is pretty cheap to live in if you eat and live like a local. The 5 star outfits are the same everywhere....if you want lush accommodations.

Thanks for the replies. We live in Seattle and would be flying from there. We have been diving about three years, and have done a little over 150 dives in that period of time. We are both Advanced OW certified and interested in continuing our diving education, but that isn't a necessary component of this trip.

While cost is a concern for us, we figure the time to spend a lot of money on a plane ticket is when you can go for three months, so we are willing to splurge on transportation. We have been to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen a few times and we liked it there. Based on what we know so far, we are trying to decide about going back to Mexico and going to the Philippines. But we will look in to all other suggestions, so please keep them coming.

Does anyone have any advise about how to keep the diving affordable while we are there? Here in Puget Sound, we do a lot of shore dives, which saves us substantially. Are dive operators amenable to negotiating a flat fee for a few months of diving? If we decide we don't mind looking after other divers, would it make sense to take a dive master course while we are there? Would that typically include a few months of diving and looking after divers?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Are dive operators amenable to negotiating a flat fee for a few months of diving?

Absolutely, yes.

If we decide we don't mind looking after other divers, would it make sense to take a dive master course while we are there? Would that typically include a few months of diving and looking after divers?

That and carrying tanks, making coffee, carrying tanks and getting lunch and carrying tanks. That and some looking after the guests to make sure they go home at the end of the day then carrying some tanks.

Back
Top Bottom