Diving the Phillipines - Atlantis Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever dove the Atlantis Dive Resort in the Phillipines? I am looking into taking a trip there with a side trip up to Subic Bay to dive with the false killer whales at Ocean Adventures Park.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any information.

lock_washer

I've been to Atlantis in Dumaguete and I know many people who have also been to Atlantis in Puerto Galera. Both are excellent properties and very reasonably priced as well. I think you would be making a good choice to visit either of them.

Huh...I wanted to try somewhere different, but the main reason I want to go is dive with false killer whales at Subic. You don't see them locally here.

I just got back from Atlantis Dumaguete and Puerto Galera. I was so impressed by the diving in PG, I'm going back in May. The resorts and diving are world class in my opinion but it is mostly macro stuff.

You can go to Southern Leyte and dive with whalesharks instead...

I don't know if you'll be permitted to dive with the false orcas..the closest we got to them were sitting and watching them perform their leaps and rolls ala sea world adventure.

clgsamson:
You can go to Southern Leyte and dive with whalesharks instead...

I don't know if you'll be permitted to dive with the false orcas..the closest we got to them were sitting and watching them perform their leaps and rolls ala sea world adventure.
Perhaps it's changed since you went last.

I just checked their website: http://www.oceanadventure.com.ph and they are still offering the dive with the false killer whales. The only false killers in captivity in the U.S is at Sea World of Florida. They use to offer a false killer whale experience, but you only feed and wade in ankle deep water with them and a trainer. No swimming or diving. A couple of aquariums in Japan have them on display, but no diving or swimming either. Ocean Adventure in Subic is the only park offering this.

Atlantis Puerto Galera good resort and nice environment

Jason Ooi:
Atlantis Puerto Galera good resort and nice environment

Click on my name thingie to the left and see the pictures I uploaded...

We did the Atlantis Resort there in September 2005. Click on my Photo Album thingie (View Gallery) here on ScubaBoard for lots of pix, the u/w shots are not mine, but will give you an idea of all the cool stuff you are about to see.

I did five dives each day including the night dive... every time. It was well worth the never ending flight from ORD>LAX via Hawaii (?!?) which resulted in a total of 22 hours where my butt sat motionless while moving at 450mph. They came back via polar route, over Alaska, 12 hrs flight. Sheesh- 5 bad airline movies you couldn't walk out of the theater on!

Our dive guides from Atlantis sorted us out quickly and us big kids got taken on some e-ticket current dives. But no one sorted into any group was disappointed. The highlights may have included the mimic 0ctopus, the wall of Nudibranchs, numerous Pipefish as well as the fun current powered roller coasters afforded by Batangas Channel and the East end of Isla Verde. (On your day trip there, pack along some little toys from the dollar store for the 3-5 years olds living there- stuff like squirt guns, etc) The latter dive was borderline dangerous for most divers- most of which who had no idea of what they were looking at but being guided away from. We found an 80 gallon barrel filled with concrete that had heavy wire and rope trailing off into a viscious downwelling. Some of us took turns playing with the devil using that hand hold as a safety.

The West end of Isla Verde was exciting for people interested in perfecting their current dives or beginning to experience one- but otherwise unremarkable. Worth the trip, nevertheless.

After we got sorted out, our DM would scout for areas of surface that looked like whitewater. We did one dive in fronto of the resort with rental "scooters". They assign a newbie DM to take you out (our DM took a much needed break). He tried to walk us through various exercises so that we could master the scooters but it very quickly devolved into a game of "chicken" and acrobatics, and the DM took a minute to get over his displeasure, but then he must have realized that it looked like fun and he joined in. Looked like that scene from Thunderball. We were playing bumper cars (but not mashing the rental units, show some respect!) by the end of the dive.

They started out a little anal about BT, but after we mentioned to our DM that we were coming up with 1200 psi, he agreed that if we stayed very shallow at the 1 hr plus mark, either he would stay with us or exit and bubble watch from close proximity. We showed him that we knew how to behave and play nice and soon we were doing 1:20 BT. They still kept to rules on their night dives- easy to get seperated from your DM and get mixed into another marauding band. The night dives right in front on the twin wrecks weren't bad, but we did three drifts along a reef that were remarkable in many ways.

The night dives on a full moon were brilliant! I spent the most of them drifting along in current watching the electric display of plankton- as it crashed into coral and exploding in bio-luminescent pops- looked like a hillside of twinkly Christmas trees!

As far as non dive stuff, I was too busy diving but the persistent vendors were ready to sell you fake Rolex, fake Gucci, fake YSL, fake fakes, and fake fake fakes. There was a heavy movement to arrange marriages by staff yentls. No joke. I think they could have them crated up and ready for shipment home upon your departure. Or, you could discuss rentals a few steps West of the "main street" (sidewalk) or just drink beer until there after you shoulda quit. Otherwise, the gals that took the side trips came back and wished they would have stayed to dive.

We'll be back this September. This is not a touristy area in terms of alternate entertainment when compared to Cozumel, Cayman, etc. Go there to dive... a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom