Hilton Waikaloa Village (Big Island Hawaii)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone know about any SCUBA diving operations / options at this resort? I will be there in May and would like to set something up.

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Nothing at the resort. I went with Jack's Diving Locker when we stayed there last year - a 20 minutes drive into town

Red Sail runs out of there. We walked up to there shop when we were there and got the cold shoulder. We dove with Jacks instead and enjoyed it.
I would really recomend Big Island divers now that we have visited the island a few times.
Waikaloa villiage is huge. It takes 20-30 min just to get from your room to your car. and another 30 (without traffic) to get to Kona. Plan accordingly..
Don't forget the Black water and Manta Ray night dives with big Island Divers while you are there. Not to be missed.....

Thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone know anything about another dive operator out of that area called "Sandwich Isle Divers"? I found their website and they seem like another option for the area around Waikaloa as well.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

The three ops that are most often recomended on scubaboard are big island divers, kona honu, and jacks....not sure about sandwich isle divers.

As others have replied, the Hilton resort is a large complex, and is about a 30 minute drive from downtown Kailua-Kona (be sure to rent a car).

There are several very good operators in Kona; my experience has been with Jack's and they were very good and I'd use them again. My wife and I and our 3 kids dove with them for 3 days between Christmas and New Years this year and were happy with them.

Jack's Diving Locker has it's main shop in downtown Kailua-Kona , and a satellite shop at Honokohau harbor.

Whoever you choose, I'd recommend booking in advance, especially the Manta Ray night dive.

Have fun, and Safe Diving!

I was on the big island last March and used red sail, they are located on the resort and were very good. I was skeptical since it seems a lot of resort operations seem to be subpar, but the
employees I interacted with were great, and the boat crew and divemasters were fantasitic.

I didn't try any other operations on the island.

My thanks to everyone for their comments on the Waikaloa. One final question. I will be there from 12-20 May. What is the weather / dive temp like there during May? Are we talking 3 mil shorty, 3/5 mil full suit?

Thanks again,
Ltstanfo

I was very comfortable in a full 3mm last June – I also used Big Island Divers and would definitely use them again.
Remember the Waikoloa Village is a long way (like 18-20 miles North) from Kona where all the dive operations are. Traffic can be a real hassle so plan accordingly.

We stayed at the Hilton once and chose to rent a condo in Kona. It worked out much better. When you factor the time wasted getting into that stupid boat to shuttle us to the lobby then wait for the valet plus the long drive to Kona it just made sense to rent a condo in town.

Back
Top Bottom