Dive Site and Vacation Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labaum

Registered
Reaction score
I dive.
My wife does not dive (doesn't make you a bad person...or at least that's what I've been told ;-).
In fact, my wife is not much of an outdoors person and does not enjoy all the non-diving activities one associates with most dive locations (sunbathing, hiking, fishing, snorkeling, sailing, etc).
"Primitive" dive locations with their "the diving is great, but not much else to do" are not for her.
She likes shopping, spa treatments, nice accommodations and restaurants.
Unfortunately, there's not great diving in New York or London.
So....I'm trying to find a dive location that maximizes our enjoyment (think of it as vacation linear programming). Living in Florida, I'd prefer something in this hemisphere.
Any ideas?...and thanks for the consideration.

Try Cozumel Mexico. Great all inclusives and lots of activities for the non divers. I am a diver and my wife is not, we just went and are already planning a return trip.

Brian

I dive.
My wife does not dive (doesn't make you a bad person...or at least that's what I've been told ;-).
In fact, my wife is not much of an outdoors person and does not enjoy all the non-diving activities one associates with most dive locations (sunbathing, hiking, fishing, snorkeling, sailing, etc).
"Primitive" dive locations with their "the diving is great, but not much else to do" are not for her.
She likes shopping, spa treatments, nice accommodations and restaurants.
Unfortunately, there's not great diving in New York or London.
So....I'm trying to find a dive location that maximizes our enjoyment (think of it as vacation linear programming). Living in Florida, I'd prefer something in this hemisphere.
Any ideas?...and thanks for the consideration.

wow, that really sucks. You are going to miss out some incredible dive sites because your spouse won't go there.
Start looking at Caymans and Turks & Caicos, maybe Aruba or Curacao? Geez, she doesn't even like sitting on the beach? My simpathies!

robin:D

If you dive cold water thought about California? San Diego? Stay in LaJolla, she can spend money while you dive in the kelp just offshore...lol. Some really nice spas nearby also. Or (working up the coast) Newport Beach, Marina Del Rey, Santa Barbara, Monterey all have shopping and high-end resorts...but most will require you to drive to a nearby dive boat or shore dive.

Keeping it warm and on our side of the planet - how about:

Nassau, Bahamas, Atlantis on Paradise Island with other shopping downtown a few mins. away. The diving is limited to Bahama Divers near there or a 45min. shuttle ride to Stuart Cove's.

Honolulu or Maui, Hawaii? Plenty of shopping in Waikiki and there's diving nearby. Plus Pearl Harbor and other attractions in Honolulu.

Or stay at one of the better hotels in Kaanapali (West Maui) which puts you 10mins. from the stores/galleries in Lahaina. And shops on the boardwalk nearby. It's about 30-40 mins from a smaller, upscale area around Wailea (South Maui). An option is the Grand Wailea resort, it's very nice, but more focused on beach, pool and golf activities. There's supposed to be a great spa there also. Kapalua Bay is a nice area a few miles further north of Lahaina. Having been to all 3, I prefer West Maui up towards Kapalua. And I like things pretty nice also.

Curacao would be ok if you stay at the Marriott and drive 15mins. downtown to shop. But it falls into the "the diving is great, but not much else to do" category. IMO the Marriott is the nicest place on Curacao, followed by maybe the Hilton. (distant 2nd) Everything else there is a little tired.

There's a Ritz-Carlton on the East End of St. Thomas but it's a good 20-30 mins. to shopping downtown from there. There's very little shopping in the East End, just a few blocks where the bars/restaurants outnumber the stores. Chris Sawyer Dive being one of the stores..:)

Due to all the cruisers there's duty free shopping in Charlotte Amalie and a few nice resorts nearby, the Marriott at Frenchmans Reef is one.

I've never been there but St Maarten is on my short list. Supposed to good duty-free shopping in St Maarten and better resorts. It appears you can daytrip over to Saba or Antigua in addition to diving offshore. We almost rented a really nice oceanfront villa there a few years ago on the SE coast.

Don't think any of these places have a New York vibe though. Except maybe SoCal or Honolulu. For that I'd go with mjh's suggestion.

Last edited:
Try Cozumel Mexico. Great all inclusives and lots of activities for the non divers. I am a diver and my wife is not, we just went and are already planning a return trip.

Brian
I agree, Cozumel will fit the bill.

She likes shopping, Cozumel gots lots of shopping
spa treatments Massage: Barefoot in Cozumel and the El Presidenté has a good spa,
nice accommodations in addition the Presidenté, several high end AI resorts
and restaurants.Lots of these too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom