Defective BCD in Confined Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixgears

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I have been doing our OW classes for the past 3 weeks and it seems that I've been handed a defective BCD from the get-go. I guess defective is too strong a word because it does inflate and keeps me afloat 90% of the time but the issue is that, because it's a very old BCD, the cummerbund velcro closure does not engage very well anymore and tends to "rip" apart when there's pressure applied from my torso area. There's also no adjustable snap closure in front of the cummerbund to keep it secure.

I've approached my instructor with this issue and he said they really can't do anything with it since it's the only size they had available that would fit me (it's a M/L). I don't have anything bad to say about the class or the instruction because they are very good and we're learning a lot but wouldn't people think that the class can benefit better if they offered better equipment to train in?

I wonder how it would be perceived if I jumped in there with a harness/wing setup? :D

I guess defective is too strong a word because it does inflate and keeps me afloat 90% of the time but the issue is that, because it's a very old BCD, the cummerbund velcro closure does not engage very well anymore and tends to "rip" apart when there's pressure applied from my torso area. There's also no adjustable snap closure in front of the cummerbund to keep it secure.

The lack of the "adjustable snap closure" is a major defect.

Not the end of the world for someone at ease and experienced, at least in a pool, but you have to take a serious look at any future business with this operation.

Refuse to use it in your pool sessions if you wish, but you've already heard their answer at this point. You could report them to the certifying agency if you had nothing else to do. It will be messy, either way. You decide.

Definitely do not use this defective gear in your open water sessions. Explain to them right now that this relatively simple fix must be completed before you proceed. It isn't much more than a simple 1.5" nylon belt strap with Fastex clips. Three dollars worth, total- they can buy this stuff in the sewing department at MallWart. If I had to guess, the strap is still there but the Fastex buckles have fallen away. The old Velcro losing it's bite is fairly irrelevant in comparison- a good snug belt will obviate most problems associated with old hook and loop material.

Again, do not do the open water portions with this rig.

Agreed. Where is this shop that you are using this gear? ARe they extremely busy or do they just not have enough equipment to properly outfit their students. A M/L BC is one of the most common sizes used. I'd question this alot more.

My wife and I just completed our OW pool sessions. During our training we had three students experience BC's leaking to the point where the students were unable to float on the surface without kicking-my wife was one of them. The instructor was extremely apologetic and seemed frustrated with the equipment malfunctions.
I'm not sure how old they were, but they were well worn. Ironically, the LDS's website discusses how students become relaxed and confident because they are trained in the best, most up-to-date, equipment available.

Ben

The lack of the "adjustable snap closure" is a major defect.

Not the end of the world for someone at ease and experienced, at least in a pool, but you have to take a serious look at any future business with this operation.

Refuse to use it in your pool sessions if you wish, but you've already heard their answer at this point. You could report them to the certifying agency if you had nothing else to do. It will be messy, either way. You decide.

Definitely do not use this defective gear in your open water sessions. Explain to them right now that this relatively simple fix must be completed before you proceed. It isn't much more than a simple 1.5" nylon belt strap with Fastex clips. Three dollars worth, total- they can buy this stuff in the sewing department at MallWart. If I had to guess, the strap is still there but the Fastex buckles have fallen away. The old Velcro losing it's bite is fairly irrelevant in comparison- a good snug belt will obviate most problems associated with old hook and loop material.

Again, do not do the open water portions with this rig.

I have no intention of doing my check-out dives with them. My wife and I are going for a referral. I know in todays economic climate shops try to maximize their equipment usage but in my opinion if something needs to go then it needs to go. In my opinion again, I think you're putting your business in unnecessary risk by using sub-par training gear.

Maybe this was their way of encouraging students to buy new gear from them since the instructors and the DMs were all decked out in fancy new SP gear. :wink:

Agreed. Where is this shop that you are using this gear? ARe they extremely busy or do they just not have enough equipment to properly outfit their students. A M/L BC is one of the most common sizes used. I'd question this alot more.

The shop is somewhere between Delaware and New York :D and they are a busy shop but seem to have ample instructors. My class has at least 2 instructors and 3 DMs present and there's only 7 of us in the class.

I don't know much about BC's but I'd assume that the Velcro would also be easy to replace. As mentioned above this should be questioned as M/L is a common size. Good luck with your check out dives.

Maybe this was their way of encouraging students to buy new gear from them since the instructors and the DMs were all decked out in fancy new SP gear.

If so- bad logic.

Do the instructors individually supply their own gear for teaching or is this shop owned equipment?

If so- bad logic.

Do the instructors individually supply their own gear for teaching or is this shop owned equipment?

This is shop equipment. Before the class began they did say that they were using used equipment but I didn't think that it was going to be old and decrepit. I think I'll use my own stuff from now on. I started with my own regulator and used it instead of the old equipment that they had (which seemed to work properly). I guess I'll be hunting for a BC for myself.

Never use faulty equipment. Everyone here is right on. You are paying good money for training and deserve well-maintained equipment. I once had a student with a school bcd that had a problem. I patched it as well as I could on the boat (it was still leaking pretty badly.) I promptly traded his bcd for my personal bcd. We were both mediums- school's was a Zeagle Ranger, mine a Zeagle Tech- no real difference for him to worry about. He was secure and I could handle the leaky deflator hose. He finished his dive, the bcd went to repair, and he was grateful for my willingness to make the student secure and safe. That is, after all, my job as instructor.
Don't let anyone tell you the "It'll be fine" line, that jeopardizes your safety. Even in confined water. You pay a lot. Demand proper service.

So here we are again - 3rd confined water dive. I'll go into my details later on. Now my wife's BCD was defective albeit it was only the velcro keep for the inflator hoses. The material itself was hanging on a string LITERALLY! So we keep chugging along.

I on the other hand decided to bring my own BCD and my wife and I are still using our own regs. So the owner of the shop, who was in attendance, decided to have a little chat with me regarding my equipment that I didn't buy at their shop. I guess they saw said equipment while I was donning my gear, but that's a story in and of itself so stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom