Inexpensive diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deckard

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I've done most of my diving on Utila and Roatan, and am now looking to expand my horizons a bit. But I'm suffering from sticker shock, most of the places I'm looking at around the Caribbean and Central America charge close to $100 for two tanks, plus rental gear. This is a far cry from what I am used to...

Can anyone recommend other destinations in the Carribean and/or Central America that would have diving rates somewhat closer to those of Utila/Roatan? I've already done a bit of research into Bonaire, and also would like to hear more about the Corn Islands if anyone has more info...

Thank you kindly.

If you go to a place like Bonaire, you pay an amount for unlimited shore diving and I personally think it is incredible. Some of the best in the Caribbean from my NOT vast experience. You get accommodation and unlimited diving and truck rental for $600 and up. This is for a condo rental so food is up to you and gear rental is extra.

Roatan and Utila are the least expensive in the Caribbean for boat diving. Cozumel is a close second with many decent shops offering 2 tanks for $60, provided you commit for 3 to 5 days of consecutive diving.

I have a feeling that $600 price in Bonaire is for quad occupancy, and one truck split 4 ways. The shore diving is indeed the best in the Caribbean, but you had better be in good shape to do it as getting gear from the truck to the water and back plus the dive will take a lot out of you. If there is a problem in Bonaire it is that the place is overbuilt with large condo units and there are relatively few hotel rooms. Do not go to Bonaire with a non diver. They will grab your truck and take off. Just how the vehicles must be shared with others can make or break the trip. It was a gigantic problem the last time I went down with a group.

If you have the time, prices are much lower in Thailand and the Philippine Islands. Another option is to do a dive master course which allows unlimited diving for a fixed price.

The 600 in Bonaire is double and not quad.....truck is included as is all air/nitrox. I was there in october and last november so I do know. That price is for Den Laman and can be verified easily enough if you care to. Diving is through BDA at that Condo. One other extra is vehicle insurance of about $115 for the week.

To the OP, feel free to do a search here on any location including Bonaire to get the ggod, the bad and the lies : d'. We all have opinions but there is tons of info to search here.

Posted via Mobile Device

$600 for double is pretty good & BDA (Bonaire Dive Adventure) is a nice shop. I believe they have discounted boat dives for anyone who is signed up with them for "unlimited air". I suppose if you eat in most of the time the all in cost will not be too bad.

I did not intend for this to become a Bonaire thread....but this is the place that I was talking about. The prices have gone up a bit for 2009....$651 pp based on dble occ and includes everything I said earlier. If you grocery shop and eat in your room, then Bonaire can be very inexpensive. And as leadweight said, there are some good deals in Cozumel for diving with commitment to volume. And many believe the diving in Coz is as good or better than Bonaire (they really are different kinds of diving though - Boat/Drift vs Shore).

Coz and Bonaire are both good. Also, they are totally different. Do one, then do the other. Then go to Roatan, and after that Utila. If you can really get away, try Asia. Do all of them. Dive dive dive...

Last edited:
Almost always forgotten San Andres and Old Providence Islands in the Western Caribbean. There are rates are some of the lowest in the Caribbean, the 2 trips I offer for one week $700 including breakfast and $800 all inclusive and you can find similar rates throughout the two Islands. The biggest issue is getting there, depending on where you are coming from the trips can be long or costly. I’ve seen and paid myself as low as $550 in the past year. PM me if you are interested in any more information.
with the exchange rate today the dives are $60us/dd
Ciao
Tad

Unfortunately the less expensive locations make up for it in airfare, and travel time.

FL and Cozumel are inexpensive for both diving and travel, relatively speaking. However those locations may not be exactly what you have in mind.

Diving in general is not a poor mans sport. I echo what others have said about Bonaire even if I have never been there. I have a number of friends that go regularly, and for bang for the buck, it's hard to beat. Airfare to Bonaire has also dropped. I think it's around $600 from Denver which has dropped from around $800~1000. Overall Bonaire is likely your best bet especially if you like shore diving.

Check out Thatch Caye for an all inclusive dive package. Just got back from there and loved every minute of it.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom