Is there a diver-friendly airline...when it comes to luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
In my 45+ years of diving, I’ve traveled the world and the seven seas. I’m a videographer with housing and dual lights (with batteries).

Most every time, the airline gives me a hard time about my luggage being overweight 5-10 pounds. Last year, SilkAir fined me $150 for being 4 pounds overweight. Others require me to buy $100 worth of overweight luggage. Qatar weighted my carry-on and told me it was overweight. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Since I’m a big boy, I really DO know how to come in out of the rain, how to pack light, bring essentials, carry-on, and lightweight luggage. So my question pertains to your CURRENT KNOWLEDGE (not 10 years ago): is there a diver-friendly airline?

Thanks for your thoughts

Dale

I find Delta to be fairly diver friendly, I maintain sky miles elite status each year, and can take two bags 50lbs each on domestic flights, more on international.

Other airlines probably have similar systems, but in order to make the system work, you need to be loyal to one airline, even if they don't have the cheapest fare for a particular flight in order to meet the elite status requirement. Unless of course you fly enough to maintain elite status on multiple airlines.

Another option with Delta (and again, probably other airlines too), is that if you have a lot of gear, it might be cheaper to buy a first class ticket and take advantage of 3 free checked bags.

I have a lot of miles from United so I tend to fly their routes most of the time since I get an extra free bag to check-in.

But I hear tell that Southwestern gives everyone a free bag...I just hate their "no seat reservation" policy so I have not flown with them for years.

Sometimes you pay extra for that seat just to get those extra perks...that use to be part os good customer service.

The first thing I would do is invest $20 for a luggage scale, and pack 49.5 pounds in your suitcase. Second, check your bags in at curbside, and "take care" of the skycap. If you're slightly over 50 pounds, and you happen to have a visible $10 or $20 dollar bill, you might make a new friend :) Third, pack your scuba gear in a normal suitcase, and not a dive bag. Major RED FLAG ! As far as airlines go, I've always had great luck with JetBlue, first bag is FREE. However, I can't say that I've ever had issues with other airlines, other than charging a luggage fee.

None of them are diver friendly per se. Its weight which cost fuel and they always want to make a buck.
I used the United and AA FF programs, you get 2 bags free which is close enough. Baggage scale required!

United just launched a luggage delivery program, I think its $30 for the first bag, $40 for 2, etc... They deliver it to you hotel / house / etc... within hours. Might be worth it rather than doing a bad drag with multiples.

Some friends of mine just booked first class tickets to the Bahamas, and discovered that they are now limited to two 50 lb bags, instead of the three 70 lb bags they used to get.

They are all getting grinchy. It's hard to fault them, since none of them makes any money.

I'm interested in hearing about just how UNFRIENDLY some airlines can be, esp. on international routes.

Not nearly as friendly as they used to be. But it depends on where you are going. If heading to Bonaire, you can take InselAir which gives a free 10kg for dive equipment. They fly out of Miami and Charlotte direct to Bonaire.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Air Tahiti are very diver friendly..flash your cert cards and you automatically get an extra 5kg and excess baggage over and above that are often ignored or a token fee. They also fly nice and low as many of the pilots are divers.

Some friends of mine just booked first class tickets to the Bahamas, and discovered that they are now limited to two 50 lb bags, instead of the three 70 lb bags they used to get.

They are all getting grinchy. It's hard to fault them, since none of them makes any money.

First class tickets to the Bahamas and none of them make any money? Oh teach me wise one! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom