Need help with Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jehpdx

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! I am both new to scuba diving (PADI certified for only 2 years and only 15 or so dives). I love it!!! I am for sure a warm water diver and I am most interested in the larger pelagic fish. I apologize ahead of time for asking a question that has probably been asked a bunch of times before, I did a quick search and didn't find the answer I am looking for so I hope I can get some help. I am going on my honeymoon Feb 2nd to Thailand. We will be using Phuket as a home base and trying to do some island hoping from there. We will be in Phuket for about 10 days before heading to Bangkok. My fiancee doesn't dive so I can't do liveabords. I need day dives. That brings me to the questions...
1. Does anyone know of the best islands/places near Phuket to go spend the day at? How accessible are they,ie. how do you get there and how long does it take? (we like less tourism but not totally remote and uninhabited)
2. I really prefer small groups, I really don't mind paying extra for even a private dive guide. Does anyone have a dive shop they recommend that deals in small groups or private trips?
3. Where is the best place to go (non liveaboard) to see the larger fish and rays?
4. Should I book online before we arrive or book when we get there? Is it cheaper one way or the other?
Thank you so much for any help you all can offer!!!

Hi, my boyfriend and I have been to Thailand twice already (returning for a third time this year on a more long-term basis) and absolutely fell in love with it! It's actually where we got certified :wink:

We have been to the Andaman Coast (where you will be basing out of) - we only spent a day in Phuket because it wasn't really a city we enjoyed, BUT we headed down to an island just south of it called Koh Phi Phi (pronounced Koh "pee pee" - no giggling!) and it was absolutely stunning! Very nice diving there. We did some fun dives with a dive centre called The Adventure Club - they were really good. Professional, competent, nice boats, small groups. The island itself is absolutely spectacular so if you have a few days that you can spend here, I highly recommend it. Be sure to book a hotel away from the main town as it can be very noisy at night. You can reach this island with a boat off the Phuket docks.

If you have a chance to go to the gulf coast (east side) there is some great diving to do off the island of Koh Tao (this is where we are going to live for a while). From Phuket, you can take a plane to a private airport on the island of Koh Samui and then a high speed catamaran to Koh Tao. Our favourite dive shop is called New Way Diving - great school, awesome instructors and dive masters, and small groups.

In any case, Thailand isn't really known for large species of fish - they are known more for turtles, eels, beautiful small tropical fish, massive schools of barracuda, rays etc. Once in a while if you are lucky you can witness a whale shark. They have small reef sharks as well.

If you need more information, just ask. :) enjoy your honeymoon!

Hello all! I am both new to scuba diving (PADI certified for only 2 years and only 15 or so dives). I love it!!! I am for sure a warm water diver and I am most interested in the larger pelagic fish. I apologize ahead of time for asking a question that has probably been asked a bunch of times before, I did a quick search and didn't find the answer I am looking for so I hope I can get some help. I am going on my honeymoon Feb 2nd to Thailand. We will be using Phuket as a home base and trying to do some island hoping from there. We will be in Phuket for about 10 days before heading to Bangkok. My fiancee doesn't dive so I can't do liveabords. I need day dives. That brings me to the questions...
First of all, congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Thailand is a great place to celebrate your honeymoon. Does your intended snorkel? We may be able to find trips that allow you to dive and her to snorkel in the same area so that you can spend your surface intervals together. If she's interested, we can even set up a discover scuba experience for her so that she can see what you're so excited about.

1. Does anyone know of the best islands/places near Phuket to go spend the day at? How accessible are they,ie. how do you get there and how long does it take? (we like less tourism but not totally remote and uninhabited)
Do you mean together or just you to go diving? These are different questions because, for example, you could take a ferry to Phi Phi (which is an extremely touristy place--nothing goes on there that is not tourist-related), and you could spend the day there, but you will not arrive in time to catch a dive boat out for the morning dives, and you will have to leave on the ferry in the afternoon too early to do any afternoon dives. But you could certainly go on a daytrip out there and both dive and snorkel. I have one trip on a speedboat that offers this, along with a gourmet picnic lunch on the beach.

2. I really prefer small groups, I really don't mind paying extra for even a private dive guide. Does anyone have a dive shop they recommend that deals in small groups or private trips?
This is the sort of service I offer, though for entirely private trips, you will really pay a whole lot of money. Private hire of a speedboat will cost at least $1000 for the day. But we can organize join-in trips with private dive guides, no problem.

3. Where is the best place to go (non liveaboard) to see the larger fish and rays?
We have blue-spotted stingrays at several dive sites, some around the Racha Islands and some around Phi Phi. And there are leopard sharks at some sites as well. However in February when the water is getting quite warm (it's generally about 85° at that time of year) the sharks tend to go to deeper water.

4. Should I book online before we arrive or book when we get there? Is it cheaper one way or the other?
Prices are the same no matter how you book. It's certainly easier to get your booking sorted out ahead of time, but a couple of weeks ahead is really all you need to worry about. Where will you be staying? Phuket is a very large ISLAND (not a city) with lots of towns and beaches where there are resorts. Depending on where you're staying, it may be quite some distance to travel to get to where the boats depart from. (A lot of honeymooners stay at the far northern beaches.)

Thank you so much for any help you all can offer!!!
It's my pleasure. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you as I'm based right here on Phuket and do this sort of thing professionally.

Christineablanese- Thank you SO much for the information! I can't wait to get to thailand, I am happy to hear that your experience there has mirrored the sentiments of everyone else I have spoken with. I looked into some things to do in Koh Phi Phi per your recommendation and I think we will end up staying there for a couple of days! Thanks!!!

Quero- Thanks for all of your help as well..... let me try and answer your questions..
1. Yes my fiancee Dionna does snorkel and I think that would be awesome if she could dl that while I dive! (what would be the cost for her to come along and snorkel during a dive?)
2.As far as the best islands....I would love to have some ideas of just cool places to go and see not only for diving. I am very interested in hearing about your day trips via speedboat for diving and snorkeling though.
3. As far as private diving trips go...$1,000 may be out of my budget. My biggest concern is being in a small group versus a cattle call style tourist nightmare. I have been happy with 4-8 person groups (including myself) in the past but less is always better.
4.We were considering staying at the BEST WESTERN PREMIER BANGTAO BEACH. We aren't married to that hotel (or phuket for that matter). So if you have other recommendations for places to stay or islands to use as a home base I would love to hear them. Thanks again for all the help!

1. Yes my fiancee Dionna does snorkel and I think that would be awesome if she could dl that while I dive! (what would be the cost for her to come along and snorkel during a dive?)
All dive boat operators have non-diver rates which are generally 50-60% of the diver rate. They don't offer dedicated snorkel guides for this rate, so if she's not comfortable snorkeling all alone, then you'd want to consider hiring a guide to go along with her.

2.As far as the best islands....I would love to have some ideas of just cool places to go and see not only for diving. I am very interested in hearing about your day trips via speedboat for diving and snorkeling though.
As I mentioned, you can take ferries to different places from Phuket. Phi Phi is a really beautiful island that's close enough for a daytrip by taking the morning ferry over, spending the day, and taking the afternoon ferry back. Phi Phi is quite small and is on the backpacker trail, so expect a lot of drinking, substance use, all-night beach parties, and such if you decided to stay there a little longer. Ton Sai village is where the ferry stops, and to get anywhere else on the island you have to take another boat. So if you do decide to spend a few days there, make sure you know what you want--isolated resort that's hard to get to/leave or beach party tourist town with hundreds of 20-somethings. The diving around Phi Phi is really nice.

Another island you can get to by ferry is Koh Lanta (by changing ferries at Phi Phi). Lanta is much less spoiled than Phi Phi, and bigger, so you don't get the crowds as much. Beautiful beaches and a road, so you can get around pretty easily. The diving is also very, very nice. Lanta tends to attract a somewhat more mature tourist base, though there are still plenty of young backpackers and therefore a small beach party vibe, but not one that dominates the whole island scene. This island is a bit too far to go for a daytrip. Diving is very nice.

Very close to Phuket is Koh Racha Yai. This island is mostly undeveloped. There are only a few hotels there and one dive op. Diving is pretty decent, but there's no nightlife at all. Daytrips don't generally stop at the island for any beach time or visits, so if you want to go there, I'd recommend overnighting.

There are other islands further south and further north where there is diving, and there are other activities you can do that visit islands on daytrips, such as a bicycle tour of a nearby island, sea kayaking tours of islands with central mangrove bays, flat-bottom boat tours of really off-the-beaten track islands where you can just play in the water with nobody around. It all really depends on what you want to do.

3. As far as private diving trips go...$1,000 may be out of my budget. My biggest concern is being in a small group versus a cattle call style tourist nightmare. I have been happy with 4-8 person groups (including myself) in the past but less is always better.
I figured you weren't really imagining how much it costs to charter a private boat for the day to go diving! Most dive boats here are big, spacious vessels that take multiple small groups diving. Dive guides don't normally take more than 4-6 guests each. The big boats are needed since we dive year round here and little speedboats get swamped when the seas get a bit bigger. In February, though, the water should be mirror flat, so we can probably find a few daytrips on speedboats for you if that's your preference.

4.We were considering staying at the BEST WESTERN PREMIER BANGTAO BEACH. We aren't married to that hotel (or phuket for that matter). So if you have other recommendations for places to stay or islands to use as a home base I would love to hear them. Thanks again for all the help!
Bangtao Beach is one of those far northern beaches I mentioned earlier. It's really too far away from the dive boat pier if you want to do more than one or two days of diving. Look for something in the southern end of the island so that you don't have a 1.5 hour taxi ride (at your own expense) to get to the boat. You might like Kata Noi beach, as an alternative.

Thank you so much Quero! You are such a HUGE help!!! I have looked at your website as well and there is a TON of great information! I would love to set up some dives with you. Would you rather me email you privately about the specifics? Also, I have looked into Kata beach and I think that may be the perfect place to use as a "home base" for our stay. It looks like we are going to stay at the foto hotel. Do you think there are any other islands we should consider spending the night at, or should we just so day trips to visit them? Thanks again for all of your help! I look forward to diving with you guys!

Last edited:
Yes, it usually works better than way for specifics since there's a lot of detail that's not of general interest for a public forum post. Just click the line in my sig that reads "Come dive with me in Thailand" and you'll get taken to my email address.

Thanks for that vote of confidence, sgtchunk. BTW, your dive buddy Carmen from that trip has recommended my services to others as well. I'm so pleased that you guys had a great time while you were here and that I was able to help that happen for you.

I can't wait to dive with you! I emailed you via the "come dive with me" link. I wanted to make sure you received it Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom