Best Scuba mounts for GoPro - Monopod vs. Headstrap vs. Mask mount vs. other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justinsthompson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested to see what other's opinions are on the different mounting options for Scuba. Here are some to consider:

1. Monopod: This is what I use and prefer. The pro's are that it can extend and get closer to sealife without spooking them. Also, that you can do selfie shots easily. The downside is that you need to hold on to it and this can be annoying. Overall, I highly prefer this method to others that I've tried.

Non-stainless hardware option: Amazon.com: Quik Pod DSLR Monopod: Camera & Photo

Underwater option: Amazon.com: Sealife Aquapod Underwater Monopod, Black SL913: SEALIFE: Camera & Photo

In the video linked below, I used the first one. The hardware is rusting a bit, although, I find it hard to swallow that the stainless edition costs twice as much...

2. Headstrap: I tried to use this on a dive and it didn't work out very well. One trick was to wear a snorkel and pull the bottom of the strap under the snorkel to hold it in a bit better. It still didn't work out very well, but I was spearfishing and this was the only real option for me without a gun mount.

3. Mask mount: I have no experience with this, anyone else? Octomask: Free Your Hands&#8480

4. Wrist mount: I have a wrist mount, but haven't tried this for scuba. I think the video would be too choppy with all of the movement (or difficult to keep your wrist steady). It would, however, keep your hands free when needed,

Other thoughts on scuba GoPro mounts?

Here is a video done with the first monopod linked above:

[video=vimeo;63139361]http://vimeo.com/63139361[/video]

I just want to say that I am very jealous of your video. I try to make my home videos like that and it is h-h-h-ard to take a final video that is 15 minutes long (edited about 5 hours of my cozumel island stuff so far) and cramp it even further into 3-4 minute clip. Job well done sir.

I just want to say that I am very jealous of your video. I try to make my home videos like that and it is h-h-h-ard to take a final video that is 15 minutes long (edited about 5 hours of my cozumel island stuff so far) and cramp it even further into 3-4 minute clip. Job well done sir.

Hi Yarik83, thanks for viewing and your comments. I had the same issue with some previous edits and needed to learn to give up a lot of footage, or better yet, not take that much. After reading the book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" (linked below). I have been turning my camera off a lot more. Most all of my clips are under a minute now, and many are 10-15secs. It makes disposal of uninteresting clips much easier and the editing goes a lot faster. When putting it all together, I try to stay with 3-6 sec clips max, which tends to keep the video moving and interesting. I've got a lot to learn still, but that book helped out tremendously.

How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck: Advice to Make Any Amateur Look Like a Pro: Steve Stockman: 9780761163237: Amazon.com: Books

Nice video you put together. I prefer pole mounts as well. I just ordered the Reach and Evo from https://www.gopole.com/ and can't wait to give em a go. I've used one similar to the Reach for awhile now but it had a traditional tripod swivel head that wasn't the most stable and was also prone to rusting so I'm looking forward to these with the GoPro style screw mount even though I'm sure they will follow suit eventually with rust. I do like the twisting lock motion on the separate sections though as it eliminates all the other hardware that can rust.

Nice video you put together. I prefer pole mounts as well. I just ordered the Reach and Evo from https://www.gopole.com/ and can't wait to give em a go. I've used one similar to the Reach for awhile now but it had a traditional tripod swivel head that wasn't the most stable and was also prone to rusting so I'm looking forward to these with the GoPro style screw mount even though I'm sure they will follow suit eventually with rust. I do like the twisting lock motion on the separate sections though as it eliminates all the other hardware that can rust.

The "Reach" looks like it would be a great option. I really like the transparent design. I wonder why they claim the "Evo" to be "100% salt waterproof" and they don't make the same claim for the Reach though.

I'm currently using this for my vids: XShot XSP2 Pocket Camera Extender
It's not that expensive and so far they haven't rusted yet. ;P

But im thinking about getting an SRP Tray as I plan to use lights in addition to wanting my shots to be a bit more stable. :)

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 02:43 PM ----------

I'm interested to see what other's opinions are on the different mounting options for Scuba. Here are some to consider:

1. Monopod: This is what I use and prefer. The pro's are that it can extend and get closer to sealife without spooking them. Also, that you can do selfie shots easily. The downside is that you need to hold on to it and this can be annoying. Overall, I highly prefer this method to others that I've tried.

Non-stainless hardware option: Amazon.com: Quik Pod DSLR Monopod: Camera & Photo

Underwater option: Amazon.com: Sealife Aquapod Underwater Monopod, Black SL913: SEALIFE: Camera & Photo

In the video linked below, I used the first one. The hardware is rusting a bit, although, I find it hard to swallow that the stainless edition costs twice as much...

2. Headstrap: I tried to use this on a dive and it didn't work out very well. One trick was to wear a snorkel and pull the bottom of the strap under the snorkel to hold it in a bit better. It still didn't work out very well, but I was spearfishing and this was the only real option for me without a gun mount.

3. Mask mount: I have no experience with this, anyone else? Octomask: Free Your Hands&#8480

4. Wrist mount: I have a wrist mount, but haven't tried this for scuba. I think the video would be too choppy with all of the movement (or difficult to keep your wrist steady). It would, however, keep your hands free when needed,

Other thoughts on scuba GoPro mounts?

Here is a video done with the first monopod linked above:

[video=vimeo;63139361]http://vimeo.com/63139361[/video]

Also, good work on the vid! Did you do some color grading or is it raw footage? Mind sharing your workflow even just a bit? :p

Ah, Cozumel Palace... Nicely done, I went through my own fun w/ Hero 2 on a monopod back in February, also staying at that hotel. I see you had much better weather than me! :)
[video=youtube;M5LpLFyVuxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LpLFyVuxc[/video]

Nicely done with yours... Plus, I see you managed to avoid using the entire bottle of bubble bath stuff, it's kind of fun when they spill all over the floor...

WOW Justin !! that was a great video

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 05:47 PM ----------

OHHH i miss the Palace Resorts.. I have stayed at the moon palace twice now and they are unbelievable.. Cant wait to go back.. Shark you had a little fog didnt you ? Did you use any filters?

Also, good work on the vid! Did you do some color grading or is it raw footage? Mind sharing your workflow even just a bit? :p

Hey Rderige, thanks for the comments. I did shoot it in Protune / RAW mode and did some color correcting with Adobe Premier Pro (Three Color Correction effect). That's one area that I'd really like to learn more about. I was basically cranking on the saturation and just tuning the colors with the three color wheels to what I thought looked good. Like, I said, I need to watch some more videos on how to do this or get some tips.

My workflow is basically to pick a song, usually a remix of a popular song with a techno / electronic remix beat. Then I mark of the beats of the song with markings in Premiere Pro. Then I grad 4-6 sec clips in some sort of sequence and fit them to the beats markers. I speed up some and slow others down. Usually I try to use 120% to 50% speeds. Then go back and do some color correction.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

Nicely done with yours... Plus, I see you managed to avoid using the entire bottle of bubble bath stuff, it's kind of fun when they spill all over the floor...

My wife was getting nervous when the rest of the bottle was emptied in the tub! After a view of those cerveza's from the mini cooler it was hilarious. Nice video, that's what you call a close shark encounter!

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

WOW Justin !! that was a great video

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 05:47 PM ----------

OHHH i miss the Palace Resorts.. I have stayed at the moon palace twice now and they are unbelievable.. Cant wait to go back.. Shark you had a little fog didnt you ? Did you use any filters?

Thanks for checking it out. I agree the Palace resorts are really nice. Especially the Cozumel Palace with the smaller size and most of the rooms facing and very close to the water.

I use the wrist strap from Eyeofmine.com excellent.
i do not find it choppy or hard to control.

Back
Top Bottom