WI Diving 60 Mile Radius Of Sparta???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItWasntMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well my browser just crashed while searching for localish dive sites. While I start over again with the search function and plenty of reading I thought I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions for dive locations within say 60 miles of Sparta? I don't mind driving and pulled 60 miles out of my rear for an arbitrary distance.

What I'm looking for is:
Family oriented/safe so my wife and kids can enjoy themselves while I'm puttering around underwater.

Reasonable visability - 10' minimum but prefer 20' as a minimum. Have enjoyed enough sub-10' viz diving in CA after driving 3+ hours, but will take what I can get here.

Laid back and relaxed.

NO Gear Nazi's or Cert Police - really if I decide to dive some cobbled together DIY monstrosity for my own enjoyment I'd rather not have to listen to someone who knows 'better' say "you can't do that!!!" or "Let me see your certs..." I'm a big boy and can take responsibility for myself. My life insurance is also paid up :D

Solo diving isn't an issue without a bunch of BS.

Depths- Not picky as long as there's variety for diving 20' to putter around all the way on down to "how deep do I want to go". Also looking for a suitable test site for some DIY rigs. I do however prefer some bottom contour v.s. walls and drop offs.

Boats- Ahhhh kind of prefer not to have to deal with motorized boats, but will take what I can get.

So far I'm aware of Lake Wazee and I think it's Lake Sheboygan(?) on 16W headed twords Onalaska. I have not dug out a map yet and started looking. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought to attempt to tap into the vast experience of the forum members. Having moved right before Christmas wasn't the best time of year to get a visual feel on what's around here. I'm happy to dive a river, lake, pond, glorified creek, etc. It doesn't have to be deep, just looking to enjoy myself and be able to see a little distance.

Thank you in advance for any replies and suggestions.

I think the second lake you were thinking of was Neshonoc. It is just east of West Salem on highway 16.

I personally have only dove in lake Wazee in this area for training and practice. Other than that I have been diving mostly warm water. (one week til the next Cozumel trip)

I've thought of trying Devil's Lake at Baraboo, but haven't made it there yet. Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Devil's Lake, Baraboo of Wisconsin, USA Mid

I think the second lake you were thinking of was Neshonoc. It is just east of West Salem on highway 16.

You're right, it is Neshonoc! Thank you for the correction. Still fairly new here and couldn't quite remember the name. For some reason Sheboyfan stuck in my mind. Oooops.

Reading your link on Devil's Lake while I type. I like the sounds of it. It'll be a good location to try out.

I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, and it seems he was told Neshonoc is all of about 10' deep at it's deepest according to someone he knows? Kind of surprising when you consider the apparent size of it while driving passed on 16.

Will keep up the search, and always grateful for information. Devil's Lake is on the my list of locations to try this summer.

Thanks for the reply Scubashine!

Well I've made some potential progress in locating bodies of water. No details yet on the conditions of the water or suitability for diving, but thought I'd share some links in case there were others in my shoes.

Letter A - Wisconsin Lake Maps - WDNR

Monroe County WI Lakes - LakePlace.com

The DNR link has the specifics on lakes such as depth, but the Lakeplace link has Sat images, maps and the traditional hybrid view. I thought this might be of some interest.

Back to the search!

Devils Lake is a great place for low key diving. Interesting rock falls along the shore lines. Two main entry areas, the first is at the Northeast corner of the lake, popularly known as "The Rail Road Tracks" as you have to crossover the rail road tracks from the parking lot to get to the water. It also boasts a rather step descent from the tracks to the waters edge. Swim south along the shore and the water gets about 20-25 feet deep and the rocks get interesting. The other entry is at the Southwest corner of the lake. A much easier entry from a sand shore. The good stuff is a considerable surface swim north past the last lake front cabin. It is known as "The Rocks" and is pretty interesting. Depth runs about 30-35 feet. You must have a Dive Flag/Float and no power boats are allowed on the lake :D.
Unfortunately the dive shop that was outside the North entry to the park has closed. So, if you want air fills the closest I know of is in Madison. The best time to go for vis. is early summer. The alga starts to bloom in August and the viz. drops off, although I have never had it less than 10 feet. usually around 15-20 feet on most days. Hopethis helps, have fun. Be safe.

KJackson60 thanks for the reply and the detailed info! I REALLY appreciate it!

Devil's Lake sounds about perfect for some of my interests!

Air fills I hope to not be an issue before too long. Going to give Jim Shelden a call about one of his 4 stage Walter Kidde's or Bruce with Airetex for an Airetex 45. Unless someone has a used Walter Kidde sitting around collecting dust they might like to make me a decent deal on??? A man can dream right??? lol

Not sure anyone around here would give me O2 fills (Non-DOT cylinders), but that'll be taken care of as soon as I hit a gas supplier and buy a couple cylinders.

When I moved I left all my cylinders behind except for my pony bottles and small O2 cylinders. Just didn't have the room for everything in the truck or trailer.

I'll have to make up a divers flag with float. Haven't had need for one of those in a loooooong time. A bleach jug, 2 liter soda bottle, sand, some red spray paint, epoxy, and an old arrow shaft and I'll be good to go for the flag.

Replacing what got left behind and given away as I can, but for O2 dives Devil's Lake sounds perfect!

Thanks again!

Anyone have any more suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom