new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlevering

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new diver from Ohio.I got my open water cert in St.Thomas/St Martin. What a difference diving is in Ohio. I have
made two quarry dives in November.The water temp was 45. What difference diving is with a 7 mil farmer john wet siut compared to a 2 mil I used in St. Thomas.I am interested in diving in Western Lake Erie. I am a charter captian on the lake. I have a 28 ft. Baha and would like to do some diving from the boat next year. Does anyone have have suggestions of places to dive in Western Lake Erie?
I am also looking for a dive buddy in the Canton/Akron Ohio area. Thanks for your help.

Dave

:sunny Hi there Dave,
Welcome to Scuba Board - the greatest online place, the fastest growing, and the nicest! You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers about scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving

-Matt- :palmtree:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

oops! Said 'hello' in the other thread. Either way, welcome to the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew. There are several Western Lake Erie dive sites - the links I provided in the other thread can be helpful. And I'm sure you'll get some good info. from board / club members as well.

Paula

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
Looks like you won't have to use Scott's link to the "Great Lakes Wrecking Crew" forum, you've been kidnapped and spirited away to that site.
I hope they welcome you here as well as we would like to in the I&G forum.
Happy to have you with us and trust you'll find dive buddies and adventures a pleanty here in the Great Lakes forum.

Tom

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

I see you found the Great Lakes forum, and then - got this moved to it?! :wacko: We have many others of interest, including New2Scuba

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Check out some of the Dive Clubs here on the Board...I'm sure you will be able to find someone to dive with! Welcome the board! I am sure you will find a lot of new, advice, friends, discussions, info, etc here that will help you a lot! Enjoy!

Ed and Liz

dlevering:
Hello,
I am new diver from Ohio.I got my open water cert in St.Thomas/St Martin. What a difference diving is in Ohio. I have
made two quarry dives in November.The water temp was 45. What difference diving is with a 7 mil farmer john wet siut compared to a 2 mil I used in St. Thomas.I am interested in diving in Western Lake Erie. I am a charter captian on the lake. I have a 28 ft. Baha and would like to do some diving from the boat next year. Does anyone have have suggestions of places to dive in Western Lake Erie?
I am also looking for a dive buddy in the Canton/Akron Ohio area. Thanks for your help.

Dave

HI Dave ,
Welcome to the Board! Yes they may have the warm water, But we have the wrecks!This is the best site to meet folks,and find tons of info! so if you cant dive you can still plan next years dives!Good luck,Dive safe!
Brad,From:
Cold Lake Michigan
Wisconsin side

dlevering:
Hello,

Dave

Hey,
The diving in the western end of the lake is pretty shallow, but the vis has been good in recent years, and there's a few interesting wrecks. They are pretty broken up though. We have a place on Kelleys Island so I've done a good bit of diving in the area. I only get over there 3-4 times a year these days.
The difference that you will see in diving a 7 mil vs a 2 mil will be somewhat significant for a new diver. You'll need substantially more weight, and will find buoyancy a bit more challenging due to the extra weight and shifts in buoyancy because of suit compression with depth, but should be able to adapt fairly quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom