Puerto Plata Dive Ops ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_a_wolfe

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We'll be in Puerto Plata 22Jan through 29Jan and looking for a dive shop. We're pretty laid back, hate cattle boats and like to move at our pace. We've never been to DR before but a last minute trip popped up. Any suggestions? We are thinking of hooking up with Dressel Divers and completing their AOW course. Comments?
Thanx,
Jim

I don't know where exactly you will be staying. Dressel divers on the south and east coast have a good reputation, the one on the north is under a different management then the rest, but since it the same name they must follow the same rules like any Dressel dive shop in the world, so you should be fine.
I lived about 20 minutes from Puerto Plata and was diving in Sosua either with Northern coast diving or with Merlin. Northern is owed my an American guy, Merlin is a German op. Both of them are nice, smaller shops. For next time try to come for diving to the south coast, most of the divers say that diving here is the best around the island.
Have a great vacation

Dressel runs a decent op but they're definitely on the cattle boat side of things & relatively expensive.

Sea Pro seems to deal with a lot of resorts too but I have an aversion to hopping on the back of a big truck with 25 other divers.

I have gone with Scuba Elite twice (2009 & this past Christmas) (SCUBA ELITE Diving & Liveaboard Sosua Puerto Plata Dominican Republic Scuba Diving Center, Dive School Sosua Dom Rep) They're a small operator and offer very personalized service. They're also in Sosua.

I contacted Northern last year for a quote and was extremely put off by their suggestion that I could do my Divemaster requirements in a week (academics on-line in advance) .

The diving in Sosua is not world class (compared to Cozumel etc) but you'll have water temps in the high 70s this time of year ( I was glad I took my 3mm hooded vest to wear under my 3mm wetsuit) - much warmer than the St Lawrence where I do most of my diving!

Have fun!

(Next time in DR it will be the south coast for me)

Brian,
must agree with you on the south coast choice:) I lived two years on the north coast and was diving there (Scuba elite wasn't there yet that time, so cannot comment on them). I like the diving on the south much better and also we have probably around 300 days of the year with very good diving conditions - Caribbean sea, the north or east have to deal sometimes with rough ocean - wavy Atlantic

Northern coast used to be a good dive shop when I lived there, but apparently the ownership or the management has changed since. Dressel divers, the same as other resort dive shop deal with lots of clients daily, so I guess if you are looking for a more personalized service then you have to go somewhere else.

Brian,
must agree with you on the south coast choice:) I lived two years on the north coast and was diving there (Scuba elite wasn't there yet that time, so cannot comment on them). I like the diving on the south much better and also we have probably around 300 days of the year with very good diving conditions - Caribbean sea, the north or east have to deal sometimes with rough ocean - wavy Atlantic

Northern coast used to be a good dive shop when I lived there, but apparently the ownership or the management has changed since. Dressel divers, the same as other resort dive shop deal with lots of clients daily, so I guess if you are looking for a more personalized service then you have to go somewhere else.

A little OT but the DM I was diving with mentioned a really great cave / cavern site somewhere near Santo Domingo ,are you familiar with it?

I've heard about the caves by Santo Domingo, but so far I haven't been there. I dive the caves in Bayahibe, about hour and half east from Santo Domingo. These are caves for real cave divers not like Cenotes in Mexico where they take even recreational divers in (as I've heard). I also dove caves in Dudu lake in the north coast, they are nice even for non tech divers as long as you have lights with you. Actually my profile picture is from there

I've heard about the caves by Santo Domingo, but so far I haven't been there. I dive the caves in Bayahibe, about hour and half east from Santo Domingo. These are caves for real cave divers not like Cenotes in Mexico where they take even recreational divers in (as I've heard). I also dove caves in Dudu lake in the north coast, they are nice even for non tech divers as long as you have lights with you. Actually my profile picture is from there

I'm definitely getting hold of you next time I'm in DR.

I've dived El Dudu twice (it was what got me hooked on caverns....)

eldudu2010.jpg

cavern1exit.jpg

Does this look familiar?:D

I dove with Dressel in Puerto Plata last year around the same time of year you are going ... they were great to deal with and would dive with them again no problems, very helpful to a newer diver. The only downfall (and I didn't think it was a big deal at all) is that we didn't go to the better sites in Sosua because there were only 2 divers per trip and instead went to a reef off the resort. I could have paid more to head to Sosua but I enjoyed the dives (maybe not knowing any better having only 15 dives under my belt at the time)

Are the prices similar among the different operators in Puerta Plata? I will be at the Riu Mambo with my family in two weeks and would like to go for a few dives with my sons. As the Riu complex is the furthest from Puerto Plata and Sosua, ScubaCaribe, the on-site dive center would obviously be the most convenient. Their website makes them look like a safe and professional outfit. However if there is better value, I might be persuaded to travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom