Anyone been diving in Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in Haiti for work on and off from Oct through te end of the year for work. Has anyone done any diving there in the last 5 years? Any feedback of dive ops, sites? What can I expect as to water temp. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Maxe,

I've been living and working in Haiti for 5 years, with 200+ dives around the country and expanding my circle of exploration. I also organize dive outings on the weekends around the country, shoot me a message if you're interested. There is plenty to see if you know where to go!

https://vimeo.com/139092771

Hey Maxe,

I've been living and working in Haiti for 5 years, with 200+ dives around the country and expanding my circle of exploration. I also organize dive outings on the weekends around the country, shoot me a message if you're interested. There is plenty to see if you know where to go!

https://vimeo.com/139092771

Wow, if there's more reef looking like that Haiti sure would make a nice dive destination! I wonder why I don't hear about it more often?

Wow, if there's more reef looking like that Haiti sure would make a nice dive destination! I wonder why I don't hear about it more often?

Probably because Haiti is woefully underdeveloped, lacks tourist infrastructure, and has a reputation as being a kind of rough and tumble place. In the past the political situation was an issue some were concerned about, too.

Hmmmm Haiti Diving. As noted above, Diving here is a bit unorganized..... but This is Haiti and we have the opportunity to dive where few have gotten wet before.

I've done a little here in the North. Difficulties in getting gear and tanks filled caused me to buy my own compressor and a substantial amount of additional tanks and gear for buddies to use. The compressor is still in the box but will be hooked up and certified soon. I have heard that they are re-opening the dive shop at Cormier Plage near Cap Haitian. If you get up towards Cap Haitian or Caracol look me up.... I have the only Yacht in Caracol harbor. A 33' pilot house Ketch. I am always looking for Dive buddies who want to explore. :)

Wandersome and get wet...

Marina Blue is a bit further for me... I'd guess 3 to 4 hour drive. After New years I might be talked into a weekend trip to check it out. The company is messing with my plans for the first of the year right now... They want me to teach a course in Tanzania.... I may be Diving Tanzania in Feb but back here in March. Honestly, I'd rather stay here. :)

Hey everyone, it seems 2016 is the year for diving in Haiti!

I have confirmed that Cormier Plage will be reopening their dive shop in a few weeks, I'm headed there in February and will report back! Marina Blue is very active with at least one outing per weekend - I just sent a friend there (recommended dives: La Gonave, Pointe St. Marc, and night dive on the house reef - many octopus!). Kaliko/Pegasus diving Jose is still around but travels a lot so call ahead (recommended dives: Tina D (fantastic dive), PT Boat). My shop Guerrilla Divers opens in February at Taina Beach, Grand Goave, about 1.5 hours southwest of Port au Prince, we've mapped out a dozen excellent dive sites in the area. LAST BUT NOT LEAST I managed to track down the legendary Raymond Bideaux in Ile a Vache, and he is getting a new compressor and hoping to take out divers on the famous wrecks in that area; I was diving with him around Christmas (recommended dive: cement boat, cannons on La Folle reef). He might be short of gear, but my shop is on the way and I'm happy to support him.

Anyone interested in diving in Haiti feel free to PM me I'll put you in touch with any of the places above.

~Akula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom