Barbados Trip....2006....PARTS 1 & 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all….

We are back from our 2006 trip to Barbados. We had a ball and was lucky in many respects. This was my third trip, my girl friend’s (GF) second trip….and….my daughter and her hubby’s first time there. The whole idea of this trip was because this year is my daughter’s 30th birthday year and this was my present to her. I picked Barbados as the destination because they had never been to the Carib (actually Dutch West Indies) and I wanted to take them to an island I was very familiar with on what worked and what did not work.

My GF and I arrived on Wed the 13th Sep and they didn’t arrive until that Friday the 15th. We got in very late because wonderful AA canceled and changed all our incoming flights. So the car rental people instead of meeting us at the airport just brought the car to the hotel the next day.

Ok, so let’s get to the diving. This was my son in law’s first time diving warm water.

FIRST DAY DIVING: Our first dive was at Carlisle Bay. I got tanks from John Moore of Dive Barbados LTD (http://divebarbados.net/ ). He runs a small dive ops on the West side and I have dove with him before. Great, no nonsense kind of guy.

Carlisle Bay is right across the street from the Prime Minister’s Office and there is a huge band pavilion available and lots of benches to lay gear on or just rest. There are 8 wrecks less than 100 yards off the shore line. We geared up and easily walked into the sea and surface swam out to the first buoy. We descended on to the wreck and proceeded to check it out and move on to the other wrecks as well. As I said, this was my son in law’s first warm water dive and he was pretty excited. We saw lots of fish and things. I suck when it comes to remembering fish names but we saw the one with the huge fins and spines and you don’t want to touch it.

We surfaced, changed tanks, did our SI and returned to check out some of the other wrecks. Same type of dive…..great.

SECOND DAY DIVING: Our second day of diving was with John Moore. Like I said, John is a no nonsense kind of guy. He will watch you a while, then, if comfy with your capabilities, he will leave you alone if you want. And, he loves to FILL the tanks. I have recommended John in the past and got one bad review. John uses a small six pack wooden boat. You walk out into the water to get into the boat….you back roll out of the boat….and when done…you jump in the water (knee deep) and walk back to shore. I guess some want a red carpet rolled out or a dive boat the size of the QE II. If that is your style, John won’t cut it for you. But, if you want a great DM and great dives….call John (you will probably get Mary, his wife….she is cool too.)

Our first dive with John was on a wreck called the Pamir. I had arranged that particular dive because it is about a 60 ft ship sunk in about 60 ftsw. It has great, safe, swim throughs and lots of life around it. In fact, we came across a STING RAY with about a 3 foot wing span. John kept signaling he wanted my knife or snippers. Didn’t have either with me. Then I watched him lay down about 20 feet in front of the sting ray and start to work his way toward it. I finally noticed John had a piece of monofilament in his hand. The ray had swallowed a hook and John was trying to minimize the 20 or so feet of fishing line it was trailing. He got as close as he dared and actually bit the line as short as he could. It was like the ray knew John was trying to help it. It just laid there and when John was done it came up out of the sand and glided off. Simply amazing.

Our second dive with John was a reef dive. Not our best dive there in the way of life but good none the less.

THIRD DAY DIVING: Out third and final day of diving was with a ops I had dove with before and was not happy with, but to my knowledge, they were the only dive ops that worked with the local university and took oceanography students out to tag turtles. Plus, my GF and daughter could come along as bubble watchers and watch them tag the turtles, take DNA samples and all the other stuff they did with the turtles on the boat we the divers had caught below. They use a converted glass bottom pontoon boat and there is lots of room.

The dive ops has made a lot of changes so I was pleased with how things went this time for the most part. The first dive, however, was totally uneventful. I don’t think I saw a single living animal much less a turtle.

But, the second dive was phenomenal. It too was a reef dive like the first, but, this is where all the life was hanging out. We caught three turtles for tagging. Two got away. My son in law and I found 3 great eels, a good size rock fish and lots of other things. He was like a kid in a candy store. The idea of this trip was for my daughter, but I almost think he got more out of it! Earl was our DM and he did a very nice thing. He had caught a turtle and brought it over to my son in law and let him hold it so I could take a picture of him holding the turtle underwater. Then he took it back and by then one of the university students had come back down and took it to the surface for tagging. For that little act of niceness, when back on board, Earl saw I had on an Airborne (military) tee shirt. He went nuts over it (being retired Barbados military himself) so I took it off and gave it to him. Was he ever surprised. Kindness for a kindness is my thought.

OTHER THINGS WE DID……

ROOTS AND RHYTHYM REVIEW: This is a big floor show and buffet held at the Plantation. They start off with a steel band, do the buffet, do some audience participation stuff, then have the show. After the show a band comes out and you dance the night away.

This year though I was a little disappointed. I have seen the show two other times. They cut a bit out of the floor show and cut the dancing at the end by half the time. I was really disappointed in that. But, I would go again and recommend it.

OISTINS FISH FRY: Every Friday and Saturday night there is a big fish fry in Oistins. You can get a great meal and a couple of beers cheap. Never buy a “ticket” for Oistns from your hotel or your travel agent. They are VERY over priced. Even the locals come out for this weekly event. Friday night is the best, go that night for sure. Saturday is much tamer and less people show up. Go for the gusto!!

CAR RENTALS: We always rent our cars from Leisure Rental… http://leisurerentalsbarbados.com/.

Not to say others are not as good, we have just been happy with them. They bring the car to airport or hotel, whichever is easiest for US…not them. Shonell is a nice lady and easy to work with. We rented a good size sedan since there was four of us this time from 14 Sep to 23 Sep for only $495 USD. If there are only two of you, a smaller car would be better….and cheaper. All the car rental agencies have a “car” called a MOOK. It is nothing more to me than a moderately souped up golf cart. You spend more $$$, you will get fried by the sun, and on most of them there is no place to secure anything. The sedan we got was air conditioned, automatic, and had a lockable trunk……and cheaper than a mook.

TIAMI CATAMARAN TOUR: I have always felt that no matter what island I am on, the cat tours are the best deal for the money. We, again this year, went with Tiami cat tours (http://tallshipscruises.com/ ) and had a ball. They picked us up at 0900 and dropped us off at 1600. We made three stops on the tour. One was at a place where you snorkel with fish….and they seed the water so there are def fish. Another stop is at a place where one of the deck hands get in and hand feeds turtles. You get a great chance to see a turtle up close. The third stop is at a nice beach and you can just chill a while. They do a great lunch buffet and there is always food left over. On all the support columns are bottles of rum…..take what you want….all in the price. A great deal.

CAB SUPPORT: Even though we rent a car, we never drive anywhere when we know we will be drinking. So, each year we call the same cab driver….. Mike Gooding. With our flights being changed by AA and not wanting to get the car late at night and be initiated again into British driving (on the left side) in the dark and extremely tired, I called Mike from the states and told him when we were coming in and to make up a sign and meets us there at the airport. When we came out of customs he was there with the sign and been waiting for who knows how long. He got our bags in his cab and off we went to the hotel. I asked him how much all this was and he said $30 Barbados. That is $15 USD. He got a great tip, trust me. We would also set up times for him to drop us off at like Oistins and come pick us back up. There he would be. So if you need a good, dependable and honest cab driver….call Mike Gooding at 246-235-5985 or 246-423-5279 he will take good care of you. If you are in country, you do not need to dial the 246, only when you call from the states.

DRIVE THE ISLAND: We didn’t rent a car just to let it sit at the hotel. We drove that island like crazy. There are so many great beaches to go see. It is easy to drive around the island traffic and road wise….but….the maps are really lacking. Their accuracy leaves much to be desired, so don’t worry if you pass the same place twice looking for something. It is just great fun to get out.

HOTEL: We all stayed at the same hotel my GF and I stayed at on last trip in 2005. We stayed at the Sea Foam Haciendas in Worthing, Christ Church…..
http://www.seafoamhaciendas.com/ .

Being return guests, we got a two bedroom suite (bed rooms about 12 by 12 and both with AC), a large living room and full kitchen combined, and a balcony overlooking the beach. The hotel is right on one of the nicest beaches there. The room ran $110 a day. We did have one problem this year. This year has been very wet so we had a few water bugs scurrying around the apt. We told the front office and they were on top of it. We never saw any bugs the year before. But, if you travel the Carib at all (to be more accurate… Dutch West Indies) you know bugs, lizards and the like can be seen from time to time.

When my daughter showed up and I showed them their suite, they were amazed at the size. Nice place…nice people. They get tons of return visitors. Plus, since I was a return guest, they gave me my daughter’s suite at the discounted price (return guests get 10% off). Sweet. I didn’t want us to share one suite as to me, four people and one bathroom does not cut it. Plus, I didn’t want her cramping my style….hehehe….yea right.

One thing I would caution on…electronic gear in an air conditioned bedroom. I love sleeping in a cold room and needless to say the rest of the suite and out side was hot and humid. I took my MP3 player and had it in the room for a couple of days. I then took it out side and it would not work. It took two days before it would come on. I had had a similar experience with a movie camera the year before. Don’t keep electronic items in the cold bedroom and then take them out into the hot humid area. They may not work for a while.

Bottom line, not a bad vacation. The daughter enjoyed it, her hubby enjoyed it, me and my GF had a great time and no one got sunburned. Yep, sometimes things just work out.

Here is a link to some pics….. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rdr5k/album?.dir=/34fere2&.src=ph&.tok=ph5_6lFBjAYLQSSL …. I didn’t post as many pics this trip I had in the past. If you are interested in Barbados feel free to PM me and I will answer any questions or send you another URL to see past trips there.

Why didnt I think to put it together this way........duh......thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom