Be careful in Bonaire (Burglaries)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clafrieda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here's a heads up. There were many burglaries in Bonaire last week, including us within the first 5 hours of arriving. They took our passports, laptops, video cameras, digital cameras, housings, dive watches, cell phones, cash, ipods, bags and even some clothes. They used a crowbar to break into the rooms and into the safe. We met 3 other couples on the plane back that were also burglarized and they had met others during the trip.

If you are going to Bonaire, get some travelers insurance and ask to put your passports in the hotel's safe. Make photo copies of your passport and don't keep them in your safe (our copies were taken). They don't really know how to handle stolen passports on the island, so be extra careful with those. (They tried to send us back and forth between immigration and the visitor's center until I started yelling at people. That seemed to be the only way to get any kind of help.)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Original post updated with information below

Update as of 2/12/2010:
Called the Bonaire Police today. They said they recovered some items, but none of our stuff. (I doubt they recovered anything significant because they were quick to say none of our stuff was recovered.) They had a few people in custody, but we heard there were more burglaries after the arrest. They confirmed this. The groups committing the burglaries may be part of a 'ring', but there seems to be no direct connections that led to more arrests or recovery of any of our stuff.

Additional Details (I wanted to add this to the initial post, but I can't seem to edit it anymore. Perhaps a mod can do it for me.):

Our plane from JFK to BON landed at 4:35pm (a little late because of weather). By the time we got our bags and got to our rooms it was about 6:00pm. There were 5 in our group spread between two adjacent rooms (3 in one, 2 in the other). We unpacked some of our stuff and put the important things into the safe. Then, we made a run to the supermarket to get some essentials (Amstel Brights). At about 7:30pm, we decided that we would go out to dinner instead of cooking (big mistake). We locked all the doors and headed out. I should note that only 1 out of the 5 rooms in the immediate area was vacant.

We got back from dinner at about 9:00pm. We decided to have a few beers together, so we walked together to one room. We noticed the door was open and the room was ransacked. I immediately ran to the other (my) room and it was also completely ransacked. The door had a deadbolt, but it appeared that a crowbar was used to break in. The door frame was destroyed to point where it would no longer close. The safe was also broken into. I started screaming obscenities and got everyone's attention. (I just got hit for about 6k, no insurance.) Nobody saw anything, and nobody heard anything.

All of our phones were taken, so 2 people drove off to get the police. I ran around the area to see if I saw anyone, but they were long gone. When the police arrived, I finally took a good look at what was taken (I already knew all the stuff I cared about would be gone). They unfolded every piece of underwear, every pair of socks, and opened every zipper. They must have filled our carry-on bags with our stuff because those were gone. To make matters worse, my passport and my wife's passport were taken. The thieves seemed to be smart enough to take only the (slightly) older US passports w/o the chip. The passports were in the safe in a pouch. Unfortunately, in that pouch were the photocopies of the passports.

The police had us write down the things that were taken. They said there had been a lot of burglaries lately. I was angry when I heard that because if I would have known I would have brought my passport, laptop and video camera with me to dinner. (Some people may find that odd, but those items are always on my person when I travel to Europe.) The police believed that the thieves were following people from the airport. Well, some of them definitely followed us to dinner because they were able to take their time and go through all of our stuff carefully and quietly.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE RECENT VICTIMS IN BONAIRE OR KNOW SOMEBODY WHO IS PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. I did get email addresses for a couple of people, but I would like to get as many as possible. I am already getting the feeling that very little is being done. I think we will need to keep them motivated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible way for a vacation to start:/ Do the local police have any leads yet?

I know these people and they were victims. The police have arrested the theives already, and things are in process. This is a valid posting.

Liz

The police have a lead. I held back some of information because there is some progress being made. I have photos of the rooms post break-in and 3 police reports (two couples and a single). There were 5 of us in two rooms.

At the moment, I am not looking to cause any trouble for the island. I just want to give people a warning because nobody else will. We were told of previous burglaries only after we were burglarized. This was our 3rd year in a row going to Bonaire and we had no problems the two previous visits.

I should also mention that Bonaire still has the best diving that I've experienced. I just want people to be more prepared than I was. The fact that Bonaire seems relatively safe and quiet gave us a false sense of security. Get the insurance and be diligent with your passports.

Last edited:
Here's a heads up. There were many robberies in Bonaire last week, including us within the first 5 hours of arriving. They took our passports, laptops, video cameras, digital cameras, housings, dive watches, cell phones, cash, ipods, bags and even some clothes. They used a crowbar to break into the rooms and into the safe. We met 3 other couples on the plane back that were also robbed and they had met others during the trip.

If you are going to Bonaire, get some travelers insurance and ask to put your passports in the hotel's safe. Make photo copies of your passport and don't keep them in your safe (our copies were taken). They don't really know how to handle stolen passports on the island, so be extra careful with those. (They tried to send us back and forth between immigration and the visitor's center until I started yelling at people. That seemed to be the only way to get any kind of help.)

just curious.... what hotel was it and does this hotel have a "track record" of thefts at it?

Excellent question you posted Mike!

We have been to Bonaire numerous times, without incidents ever. Would be great to know where this poster was staying! Thanks

The police have a lead. I held back some of information because there is some progress being made. I have photos of the rooms post break-in and 3 police reports (two couples and a single). There were 5 of us in two rooms.

At the moment, I am not looking to cause any trouble for the island. I just want to give people a warning because nobody else will. We were told of previous robberies only after we were robbed. This was our 3rd year in a row going to Bonaire and we had no problems the two previous visits.

@oly: My name is Christopher Charles LaFrieda. If you want to talk please private message me your number and I will call you. I can easily prove everything that I said (I can fax you the police report). I wear my dive watch, but my wife doesn't wear her matching one (it's a cressi sub edy watch/computer). Her's was taken and a dive computer from the other room.

I should also mention that Bonaire still has the best diving that I've experienced. I just want people to be more prepared than I was. The fact that Bonaire seems relatively safe and quiet gave us a false sense of security. Get the insurance and be diligent with your passports.

Original post sounded totally wrong to me,as that is reason for my call. .Have been to the island 30 times over the years since 1976 and never personally had an incident.I have stayed at Habitat,old sunset beach hotel,Flamingo,Sand dollar,Buddys,Plaza,all multiple times.
I posted before I saw Liz from GRI posted hers.I now believe op as I have personally met with Liz in the past.Thank you Liz for verifing this claim.

Last edited:
I know these people and they were victims. The police have arrested the theives already, and things are in process. This is a valid posting.

Liz

UH-OH....the police are doing something? Somebody is not gonna like to hear that. I am sure he is on his way to this thread as we speak.

To the OP, I am sorry to hear that this happened. I too would like to know where you were (and the others) were staying. I hope everything you lost is recovered.

Oh and Liz....thanks for validating this post.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Just a friendly reminder: If this thread get derailed like several of the recent past ones about Bonaire, people will start losing the privilege to participate.

I had to make a scene at the airport (flying w/o passports, but with permission from Delta) and two couples came up to us and said they have been going to the island for 20+ years without any problems. However, three couples came up to us and said they were burglarized that week (including one that had their wedding rings stolen). The rumor that we heard was that more than 5 places were burglarized on that first weekend. I believe the good track record is what makes Bonaire such an easy target. We could potentially list each hotel that was burglarized, but I think that would do more harm than good.

Once again, learn from our misfortune. Get travel insurance and be extra careful about your passports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom