just got back into diving.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kober3513

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, my name is steve, and i just got back into diving and in the process of getting my fiance certified. are there any good shore diving locations in the tampa bay area?

Welcome to the board. There are a couple of good shore dives down south in Bradenton and then of course there is Venice beach for huntin sharks teeth. Look here and you will see a couple of dives being planned for the spanish rocks. That is one of the Bradenton dives. Throw your name in the hat and head down there. The more the merrier.

we heard about venice but also heard that the vis is terrible there. not that it matters but if my fiance does go she does not have much experience. would it be ok for a new diver?

Welcome back to diving, Steve. I'm doing the same thing.

Vis in Venice is usually in the 5-10' range. Sometimes zero (holding gauges against mask to see them). There's also a bit of a surface swim (200-300 yards). It's been a while since I have dove there so if somebody has better numbers please chime in.

I would recommend that your fiance gets a few dives under her weightbelt first or talk with some returning divers on the beach about the conditions before taking the plunge.

I would recommend both dives for a beginner. The currents are rarely that bad there if there is one at all. Make sure you bring your dive flag, and if your fiance is nervous make a buddy line and attach it to both of you. You will not be in more then 28 feet of water at most, you average about 20 to 25. If no buddy line then just follow the buddy rule, if lost search for one minute and surface. I dove spanish rocks and venice beach for my first dive after certification. Everyone here recommends it for a beginner. Good luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom