Turtles with tumors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am interested in what you are seeing out there. I used to see almost every other turtle with these white growths (somebody said it is a strain of Herpes Virus). Then, about a year ago, the turtles started looking healthier (to me) It was as though there were a lot of younger "fresher looking" turtles. Now, I am beginning to see lots of turtles with these growths again. What does anybody out there know about this?

catherine96821:
What does anybody out there know about this?
Not practicing safe sex?

I just know that I see more with the tumors on the South shore then we used to see on the West.

Roger had found one that had tumors covering it's eyes...poor thing was blinded. We got in touch with www.nmfs.hawai.deu. They said they can only help if we bring the animal in. Needless to say we never found it again.

They are on Maui too. Lots of ideas on why those tumors are there. Some blame divers, some blame chemicals washing down from pineapple fields. Lots of blame to go around Im sure. One old turtle I've been visiting for years was nearly blind last June so I suspect he's either gone now or will be soon.

Fibropapillomatosis (FP) Tumors

Green sea turtle populations are threatened by the growing incidence of fibrous growths on the eyes, neck, flippers, and in the mouth. The cause of the tumors is still unknown, and the tumor forming disease is also present in other areas, including Florida, Barbados, Australia, and the Pacific coasts of Mexico and Costa Rica. FP tumors interfere with the reptile's ability to feed, eat and swim, and unfortunately FP tumors are often fatal. In some parts of Hawaii, it is estimated that the disease is present in 60% of the turtles.

Lots of people would jump and say that divers could be a cause, but I highly doubt that. A better explanation would be nondiverse genetics, inbreeding, and just plain unexplainable. Many dogs gets papilloma virus in their mouths...it has nothing to do with anything humans do to them and many actually self resorb.

One dive spot on Maui does have a lot of drainage from local pineapple fields so I suspect chemicals are a main concern.

I doubt it's divers too but I don't discount anything since I honestly don't know any more than the next guy.

justleesa:
Thanks Al, Susans link was interesting!

Quick! Somebody tell poor Susan to get that mask of her forehead because Al posted her picture on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom