Two questions on Ni'ihau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am really wanting to go dive Ni'ihau. Can you folks in the know let me know if:

- There is any tech-oriented operation going over there or willing to go there (doubles, mixed gas, deco?)

- Are there liveaboards that go there (recreational or technical?)

Thanks

I am really wanting to go dive Ni'ihau. Can you folks in the know let me know if:

- There is any tech-oriented operation going over there or willing to go there (doubles, mixed gas, deco?)
Not that I'm aware of. I only know of 3 diveops that even go there - Bubbles Below, Seasports and one more I can't remember...I can't recall seeing any tech ops on Kauai either.

I doubt it, the only liveaboards I know of are the Kona Aggressor (Big Island) and the new startup on Oahu.

Steve is correct in what he states above.

I went in August 2006 with BB and they did not offer, or we didn't have a technical person on board. I loved the trip!!! I would equate the 3 dives I had that day with almost the best day I had diving on Oahu in regards to cool stuff, neat critters, etc. (I lived on Oahu for 3 years and probably 150 dives on Oahu). I thought it was well worth the price. On the downside, was the ride back. The ride over (approx 17 miles one-way) was great, but the ride back it was the worse direction, due to crossing the channel at that angle.

I would say go, Go GO! to Niihau (actually Lehua Rock/Crater)!!

Once upon a time there was a boat that went from Oahu to Niihau.
We would fly to Lihue, board at Port Allen, dive a long weekend, then fly back to Honolulu.
There isn't many places that can compare to Niihau. Its superb diving.

It's always worth making the phone call to see if they'd be at least tech-friendly.

I know of a few ops around here that don't cater to tech divers, but have no problem letting you do your thing as long as you bring any non-standard (read: not in typical rec diver locker) gear, and can prove training.

With the Superferry sounding like it will be coming online soon-ish after all, you may be able to rent your non-flyable tech gear (like doubles) on Oahu, then ferry over to Kauai for the boat trip.

Thanks

I would go there. Roughly a hundred miles each way from my marina. The channel can be pretty nasty so weather would have to be closely watched. My recommendation would be to go more in the spring or later not any time real soon.

Jack

Hey maybe Jack will let me go to make it a "tech oriented" operation :) Add a Helium storage bottle, some mixing, offer some tech classes and voila.

Sherm

Hey maybe Jack will let me go to make it a "tech oriented" operation :) Add a Helium storage bottle, some mixing, offer some tech classes and voila.

Sherm

I would love to get into some serious diving. I for one want to explore the world of tech diving. As the captain speaking though my first and foremost concern is everybody making it back to the dock.

Jack

I would go there. Roughly a hundred miles each way from my marina. The channel can be pretty nasty so weather would have to be closely watched. My recommendation would be to go more in the spring or later not any time real soon.

Jack

Right, definitely a summer venture if done at all. Are you talking about a multi-day trip? I'd like to hear more about that, as cool as the diving is supposed to be, I'll bet it would be doable to get enough divers together to fill a boat.

Right, definitely a summer venture if done at all. Are you talking about a multi-day trip? I'd like to hear more about that, as cool as the diving is supposed to be, I'll bet it would be doable to get enough divers together to fill a boat.

So I'm curious if anyone has gotten this off the ground yet at all? I am a tech diver moving from Guam to Kauai and I will be bringing my doubles and tech equipment to the island. I am curious if there is anyone on the island who likes to tech dive, and if Kauai has any wrecks at all in the technical depth ranges? I would especially be interested though in doing a deep wall dive or two off Nihau sometime this spring. If anyone knows anyone, please let me know, I'd be interested to chat more about the prospect of some Kauai tech diving. Thanks!!

-Wilson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom