Scooter Dive with Spinner dolphins at Makena Landing Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahawk27

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dolphins 1.jpg

Had an all time best dive last week taking out three newer divers on a scooters dive. After a few minutes into the dive, I looked over and saw 11 dolphins come up to our formation of five divers on scooters. It was amazing. They basically lead our entire dive out to Marty's reef. It was like we were part of the pod. The best thing is the three new guys only had 6 dives. I have done that same dive over a 100 times and never seen dolphins. Can't promise this again but if anyone is coming to MAui and wants to try a scooter dive let me know.

Wow!

I guess that tops my story of frolicking with a Hawaiian monk seal on a scooter dive at Ukumehame last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw, both are super cool experiences!! Just goes to show that you just never know what you'll see when you go diving. :) I love Maui!

fantastic

Wow, that's sooo cool! Next time I make it to Hawaii I'll try to pop over from the Big Isle to do this scooter dive with you. It would be worth the airfare and the overnight on Maui for sure! I had a safety stop once off the coast of Brazil with a huge pod of spinners going out to hunt in the late afternoon. They just swooped around us--left, right, above and below! One of my best diving memories. And my dive with sea lions at Galapagos made me so worn out that a scooter would be just the thing to play with these critters!

Nice shot Greg. I wonder why I haven't seen you in the water yet? I dive that area a lot.

People are keeping an eye on you and your scooter tours down there... (just so you know). Don't wory, you're not alone. They're keeping an eye on all of us. How are you managing the flag thing?

I also had a run in with dolphins at Marty's. They were bottlenose and made for an unforgettable dive.

Here's a video I put on youtube years ago...

Dolphins At Marty's Reef (part 1)

[video=youtube;Y2afzliZBxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2afzliZBxo[/video]

New stuff here at SB for me... you can only do one video per post.

Here's part 2 of the dolphins we saw.

[video=youtube;YLqOFtjfUyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqOFtjfUyA[/video]

Right on Doug, Howzs the back doing? I know there is a large group from one of the resorts doing scooter dives down there. I have only done a few groupd of 4 to 5 mostly its just for fun with my wife. Is there a problem with DLNR? I met him down there and it didnt appear that it was. Love your video's. This photo was actually taken from the Kai Kanani that they played with the snorklers fro about a half hour before they had a better time chaising us. The three guys that went with us all had go pros so I hope they send me the video.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

I know that Monk Seal. I tried to video him at Olawalu (Mile Mrk 14) and he got really pissed off. I think I was a little too close for both our comforts so I backed off really quickly. I heard about one that would be really aggresive with divers.Of course you always hear the stories after the fact.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

Come on over Quero's that would be fun. Would love to go Thailand someday.

Back is getting better, thank you for asking. I may be able to actually walk again by the end of the week. Has been really bad though and I am missing the ocean severely.

Got to get some lighter tanks! (and lighter scooters too!!)

Damn that sucks. I know I always feel better after diving but getting in the water is the hard part especially with scooters. I don't have any issues yet but just turned 46 so I am right around the corner for good times.

Who is keeping an eye on us?

Back
Top Bottom