Shore diving Maui and flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last time I was there in 2006, we did 2 or 3 shore dives, and did not use a flag. I don't want to be a jerkoff visitor, but is the law truly enforced? Planning on Ulua, Wailea, Makena landing, etc. is it important for boat traffic there? I'll use one if that's what is smart. But not necessarily because the law says I must - we have a local law that requires the presence of a snorkel on your body and a buddy for a beach dive. AFAIK it's rarely enforced.

Not looking to be an outlaw, just what the local info is.

thanks

I've seen someone official looking checking on something out at the south point at Wailea with binoculars from the beach. I don't think he was counting seagulls.

DLNR does enforce the law but it also a pure safety issue especially at Makena Landing where ther are often two to three tour boats that come int the bay after their first spot them come in for protection of the winds. It's getting pretty crazy. The depth is only 15' where they moore. There has been a lot of activity there so usually there are several flags out during the morning hours. I don't always put my flag out at Makena Landing cause I scooter most of the time and decend close to shore then ascend from 6' next to the shore. But if I go somewhere like Red Hill where I am usually the only diver from the shore that day, I always put the flag out for safety. Who knows when you could hit a current and end up on Little beach or worse. At least you have some marking that you were there. It's also a good marker to mark a clear entrance so you can see where to get back out not ending up on top of the reef. You just have to ascend close to your flag when you get back. Have fun!

How could it be worse then ending up on little beach (with some naked beached whales) LOL LOL Man I miss Maui

There are a very few locations where you can "get away with" diving with no flag (Black Rock, for example) but we always dive with one. The locations you will be diving are certainly among those where a flag should certainly be used. There happens to be a bit about "dive flag etiquette" in the Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette BOOK 2, including a story where our flag and line ( I was towing it, it was not tied off ) allowed a salvage crew leader to make us aware of a hazard that would be arising while we in the water that was not present when we started the dive. A beached boat was being cut up and pulled from shore where we were, and the lines and debris presented some real hazard. Safety from surface vessels is one reason to have a flag. The scenario described is another. Compliance with the law to avoid a fine is a less compelling reason. Safety first.
DivemasterDennis

I don't live there, but have done 3 trips and 40 or so shore dives in the last 3 years. Dive flags were by no means all that common and I never got checked or saw any checking, for what that's worth. That's not to say it might not be happening with enough regularity that you run a chance of getting pinched. Flags aren't pricey, and can be rented from some shops, Maui Dreams in Kihei I believe for one, if it makes sense to you.

I seem to recall a recent discussion by some HI authorities, following some sort of incident, where they essentially acknowledged that the custom and enforcement of flag usage was largely absent.

Thanks. Living in California with kelp, you don't see flags unless it's a class.

I am assuming the flag is not a tow behind you as you dive type of thing... or is it site dependent. I can see Makena landing dropping it and coming back to it, but something like Wailea point?

ETA Ahh, just researched, no subsurface requirements, I'll leave the debate to tie off or tow to others :)

I guess it's also odd that we rented tanks from MDS and no one ever said boo about a flag. I knw you're supposed to know the rules, but I assume the huge majority of tank renters are visitors and that dive shops would advise renters of the law.

Anyway, thanks for the input/

---------- Post Merged at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:00 PM ----------

As a follow on post on this topic..... I posted elsewhere on this forum but got no bites, I plan on doing some open water swimming while there. I know a well used route is the Maui Prince beach (turtle town area? sorry, don't know the name) down to Red Hill area. I will be wearing a bright cap. We are staying a short whil at the Grand Wailea, and thought about swimming south towards kea lani around the point, or north towards polo etc. Would be fairly close to shore, just need to get around inshore reef. Is this not a good idea with close in boat traffic? Or should I stick real close and say just do laps across wailea bay?

Are there better/safer options in South Maui? I always thought the Red Hill area was prone to current, which I'd like to avoid

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The dive shop doesn't know if you have a boat or are planning to shore dive unless of course you told them. Nor would they know if someone else you were diving with already had a flag. All shore dives I've done on Maui we dropped the flag in usually about 15ft then did our dives and returned for the flag. The law is that you surface within 100 feet of your flag. Also a lot of the south Maui boat charters do their second dive at Wailea point, 5 graves, marty's reef etc. and they moor within dive distance from shore. In fact on several occasions we have encountered divers from boats underwater at these sites. So boat traffic is a concern along the South coast anyway.

Back
Top Bottom