Best Time to Dive in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErikNYC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all,

I'm heading to Maui during the second week of November with a very large group, and we'll be diving with Lahaina Divers. I have two time slots to choose from 8AM or 12:30PM, for a two tank dive. Which slot would you choose, and why? :eyebrow:

Thank you.

Depending on the boat/day of the week the morning dives either go to Lana'i (Cathedrals) or Molokini Crater. Either is the "signature" Maui dive location.

At 12:30 the boat stays along Maui's west coast generically known as Turtle Town. They also bring their Discovery/Cert. divers on those trips so are easier/shallow sites. Except Monday when they dive the Carpathian wreck which is deeper.

I'd go to Lanai or Molokini.

Reservations | Scuba Dive Molokini, Maui, Lanai, and Hammerhead Shark Diving - click the linked dives for descriptions.

Thank you Steve.

We will be diving daily, from Sunday to Friday and will be occupying both boats. Is the water more clear/calmer in the morning versus the afternoon? Carpathian wreck sounds like fun.

Our group will include about eighty divers, if not more.

Thank you.

In Hawaii you always want to plan to dive in the morning. The trade winds pick up at around noon, making the water rough and many sites undiveable. You definitely couldn't cross to Lanai and wouldn't want to take the long boat ride to Molokini in the afternoon.

The Carthaginian is an interesting dive, but since she sits in 80' of water, it is a square profile and thus a relatively short dive.

I always prefer the morning dives, before the trade winds start to blow.

It also gives me the afternoons on the beach to re-hydrate :D

This confirm I will go with the morning dives. Although, I dislike having to set the alarm, while on a vacation. :D

I will spend the rest of the day doing other activities, and stay well hydrated.:wink:[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]

Thank you for the feedback.
[/FONT]

This confirm I will go with the morning dives. Although, I dislike having to set the alarm, while on a vacation. :D

You are from the East Coast of the US. At 8 AM your body will think it is early afternoon. Problem is not getting up in the AM. It is getting to sleep in the PM and staying asleep.

Don't miss Kimo's in Lahaina!

I will be sure to put it on my bucket list. Thank you very much.

You are from the East Coast of the US. At 8 AM your body will think it is early afternoon. Problem is not getting up in the AM. It is getting to sleep in the PM and staying asleep.
Darn. This will be very interesting, and my first major time zone shift.:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom