Carthaginian from Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As mentioned in the previous Carthaginian thread, my bdb Jeannie went to the wreck on Extended Horizon's Thursday trip (1pm departure). I was standing by at Puamana Beach Park with my most trusted Apollo AV-1, 130cft EANx32 (100 & 30), Suunto Vyper set to 32% and most importantly my trusty compass.

62 photos on Flickr (try the slide show)::eyebrow:

As the dive boat swung around into the current (signifigant!) I took a 210 degree heading and submerged. I had planned to conserve air and bottom time by not following the bottom, but the ripping southbound current kept me less than 3 feet off the deck. 10 minutes in I was at 83' with only 25 minutes no-deco showing, so I leveled off just above 80'.

At 15 minutes the bow loomed just to the left of my course; only missing by less than 30' to the north! Due to the current, I planned on missing to the north and was ~70 yards north of the dive boat's position.

P10100096.jpg

From the bow, all I could see on the surface was freedivers and kayaks. I suspected the dive had been called on account of the current. I circled the wreck, kicking myself for not immediately replacing my most recent lost WAL.

The real reason for the excessive cubic feet was to explore the deep reef ~100yds to the stern. It wasn't as impressive as I'd hopped, and the big eel was not home. My computer flashed 114 incessantly for my short foray to 117 and a few flash photos; no-deco time was at 2 min when I headed back to the wreck. My photoshop is improving, as that goatfish school at 110' is as good as ambient gets at that depth!

There were divers, but Jeannie was not with them! I took pictures of them, and was pretty sure I recognized one of them (Charlie Dolfun - yellow fins). After another circunavigation I heard the sub. Looking around, I spotted the lights over at the deep reef! Back I go to snap a couple pics of the sub looking under the overhang I'd just recently left.

Following the sub back to the Carthaginian, there were more divers on the down line and there was the pink accented Jeannie! The current made close interaction with the non-powered divers less than inviting, so I stayed in the saddle and documented the subs close passes.

P10100522.jpg

I've been in the water lots of times with the Oahu subs, but never super-manning. Nice of the pilot not to flip me off as I flittered about, aloha! Handed my camera off to Jeannie for a couple quick snaps of me (good shots Jeannie) and had to hightail it for shore.

The 25 minute return trip was punctuated by a scooter too weak to maintain course. Had to cruise 30-40' deep due to N load, and 17'ish for the indicated 4 min SS. Hit shore a quarter mile south of Puamana, but my addrenaline carried me and my gear down the highway shoulder to my car (Uggh!).

It was a 64 minute dive to a max depth of 117' ending with 400psi in the 100 and 100psi in the 30. Note to self; need a better second stage on the pony, not an alternate! Note to everyone else; This was not an easy dive! Rocky reef entry and rockier rubble exit. I pulled it off but I do not dive with anyone I would feel comfortable taking; copy me at your own risk!

Neat! I've to try that with my Farallon. Thanks for sharing.

GREAT report Halemano - I was curious about the entry and exit at Puamana as it's a pretty rocky area. Thanks for sharing - I'm keeping this dive on my list of "to do" spots in near future. Sounds like doubles and a long burning DPV would be a good idea for this one too.

Mahalo, Tim

Tanks a lot everyone, it's probably not that hard of a dive if there's no current and no waves. I will do it again, but not until Feb-Mar. Whales :)

Mark, I think it was your origional post and pictures that convinced me to make my first Carthaginian visit this way. My Draeger dives were off normal Key Largo dive charters, so I had to join the others on the surface every hour or so. It was nice not to have to change tanks between dives though.

It's funny, I had read your post about planning this dive to meet up with your buddy... and wondered, "what op is that going to be?" But didn't put 2 & 2 together until Friday that it would be Extended Horizons! After talking with one of the guides that day, they said they were pretty surprised and confused to see all the unexpected traffic at the wreck!

:icosm12: I don't know if anyone has posted this information before, but it seems like a good time to mention that Atlantis leases that space of ocean from the State of Hawaii. And that as the 'landlords' they have protocol for diver behavior and safety issues around the sub.

Atlantis held a meeting with various scuba ops to go over the following safety protocol shortly after sinking the Carthaginian:

1. When diving the wreck, announce you're going to be in the area by calling the Atlantis tug, Roxie, on channel 88a on VHF radio
2. If you're going to be tying up to a mooring (kayakers or boaters) only take the bow mooring of the wreck
3. When the sub is in the area, divers do not approach the sub, ascend to and stay in the water column above the wreck, as the sub has 5 open (propeller) thrusters and the pilot may not be able to see you
4. Never hold onto the sub

Most of the sub pilots are quite accommodating, if you give them notice... better not to surprise them though!

Thanks for the Atlantis info Victoria - I had not come across that anywhere else.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for the reminders on the rules. Except for the tug contact info, standard Atlantis procedures same as Oahu. One of the reasons I chose to go when ExHo was there is because I thought the sub would not be there. That's the way dives are regularly scheduled at the YO-257. My plan was to be there when Atlantis knew divers would be there.

I am a pretty entertaining diver. I didn't get the feeling I was much of a concern for the pilot; both times I came across the bow he was motionless, for a while, with everyone watching out the side. I didn't really get that close and nowhere near the props! It would be interesting to hear goodnatured feedback from the pilot, I doubt I would do this dive more than twice a year, possibly less.

Full resolution images could be available for promotional and/or private uses :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom