Carthaginian from Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reminders on the rules. Except for the tug contact info, standard Atlantis procedures same as Oahu. One of the reasons I chose to go when ExHo was there is because I thought the sub would not be there. That's the way dives are regularly scheduled at the YO-257. My plan was to be there when Atlantis knew divers would be there.

I am a pretty entertaining diver. I didn't get the feeling I was much of a concern for the pilot; both times I came across the bow he was motionless, for a while, with everyone watching out the side. I didn't really get that close and nowhere near the props! It would be interesting to hear goodnatured feedback from the pilot, I doubt I would do this dive more than twice a year, possibly less.

Hey, I didn't mean to come off sounding like the SCUBA police, or to imply that you did anything of concern. My post was intended to be in line with your 'copy me at your own risk' sentiment...

I just think it's a good idea to make sure others are aware of the safety issues & protocol regarding diving the wreck while Atlantis is operating and I wasn't aware of that information being posted as of yet.

Sounds like it a good time was had by all on your dive... hoping to keep it that way in the future!

Sounds like it a good time was had by all on your dive... hoping to keep it that way in the future!
Victoria, I did not think you sounded like the dive police, some of my words are just in case any sub employees tune in to this channel. :eyebrow:

I also hope to stay in your good graces; if I end up living on the Westside again you would be my top choice for boat employer, especially with such cute guides. :D

That sounds like a cool dive but careful planning. We have two of the TUSA A-7 which are the same as the Apollo AV 2. They have 24 V lead batteries but get 80 minutes life. My AV 1 have had batteries issues in the past so I know how fun that is when you are way out. I wonder if you would like to try the dive again? I would love to go with someone that has done it. I am a good navagator but the currents concern me.

So I finally tried the scooter dive to the Carthaginian today. It went really well. Current was very minimal. It took us 20 minutes. Arrived to the area just north of the ship. I was able to see the shadow of the service boat for the submarine then followed the mooring line to the ship wreck. It's looks nothing like the original photos as all the masts are gone. Very cool dive though, just used an 80 tank. I did have the NIMH batteries so there was no risk of batteries issues. Dive time was 54 minutes, max depth was 97' and still had 1200 psi left. Hope I didn't get spoiled by not having heavy current.

What scooter were you using? I don't think it took us 20 minutes to get out there with the Sierras, but I could be wrong. It was a long while back. I think a single 80 is a very marginal gas supply for that dive, though -- if you had run low on gas, it would have been a long, ugly scooter run on the surface back to shore.

We used Apollo AV2s. Our depth out to the area was only 45' then we went to the bottom did a couple of laps, looked at a frog fish and headed back with 1800 psi. Scootered back at about 45' to 35'.

That's what we did when we went out there -- stayed up at about 40 - 45 until we got to the wreck. You don't get much time on the wreck that way, but it was fun anyway.

I got to do it from a boat this last trip. Man, there are a lot of frogfish on that wreck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom