Hollis S38 Wing Shrinking Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I have a "small" problem with my Hollis S38 wing. The webbing that holds the two metal eyelets, through which I attach the wing to the backplate via coupling bolts or an STA has shrunk. It makes the mounting of the wing extremely difficult, if not impossible at times. The tension on the bolts of my STA has begun to deform the eyelets. I was wondering if this can be repaired or if this can only be remedied by replacing the outer shell of the wing? If it must be replaced, how much would this cost?

Thanks,
O.

hmm... that's the first time I've heard of something like that....I think Nick or someone at Hollis would be able to answer that for you but its kinda hit or miss on how long it might take for them to look on here....your best bet would probably be to try calling Hollis directly at (510) 729-5110
or drop them a email through their website at[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]Contact

out of curiosity what plate are you using?

Hi DM_cappie:

I was using a Hollis plate, although I currently use a DSS plate. I have the problem with either back plate.

Called Hollis Today and was told that they do not sell the outer bag, only replacement inner bladder. I could send the wing for evaluation, where I may receive credit toward the purchase of another wing. Oh bother, never thought I would have to replace equipment due to "shrinkage." :wink:

Going to see if I elongate the eyelet and provide a bit more clearance. If I can ovalize it a bit on the vertical axis, it might just work.

O.

This happen to me sometime too.
When I'm done diving, i just let the wing dry still attached to the STA or double. That way, it will dry without shrinking.

stop putting it in the dryer.... :rofl3:

I could send the wing for evaluation, where I may receive credit toward the purchase of another wing.

Sounds like a polite version of "go **** yourself."

If ovalization fails, you can just put in a larger diameter grommet (or no grommet).

Sounds like a polite version of "go **** yourself."

Really?
I don't think thats what their trying to say.....
the way I take it Hollis is offering to take the part back for evaluation, and correct the matter from there. (through credits or replacement)

I wouldn't recommend doing anything to modify the wing yourself, at least not at first. If I were in your shoes I'd probably mail it off to Hollis for evaluation and see what they have to say. (your SB profile location is in CA so I dont think the shipping would be too bad) Depending on what they say you can get a new wing or get yours back and then do the modifications your talking about. My concern here is that you might void any warranty associated with the wing by messing with the grommet size/shape, and the chances of Hollis being able to correct the problem may go out the window.

at the very least I'd call Hollis again and discuss "home remedies" for your issue and what the effect on the wing's warranty would be.

Called Hollis Today and was told that they do not sell the outer bag, only replacement inner bladder. I could send the wing for evaluation, where I may receive credit toward the purchase of another wing. Oh bother, never thought I would have to replace equipment due to "shrinkage." :wink:

Going to see if I elongate the eyelet and provide a bit more clearance. If I can ovalize it a bit on the vertical axis, it might just work.

O.

Hi O,

Before modifying the wing, we would suggest it be returned for evaluation. Hollis wings come with a lifetime warranty from defects of workmanship and this would certainly be covered.

Best regards,

Hi O,

Before modifying the wing, we would suggest it be returned for evaluation. Hollis wings come with a lifetime warranty from defects of workmanship and this would certainly be covered.

Best regards,

these guys have always been stand-up dudes - especially Nick!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom