Greetings Thrill Seekers.... Komodo lob trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
‘Greetings Thrill Seekers’ is the cry from Garry (Cruise Director) that marks the start of every dive briefing on the Komodo Dancer – and it’s no hype. What a brilliant way to spend 10 days. If you haven’t been to Komodo – put it on your list & try to get there.

The Diving
Our itinerary was from Komodo back to Bali, with the majority of the time spent in/around the Komodo Marine Park followed by a 2 day dash back to Bali.

The reef is in fantastic condition with only small and infrequent areas of damage. The sheer quantity & variety of fish is breathtaking - from the whale shark through mantas to tiny critters.

The dive sites come in 4 distinct categories:

Open Water Sea Mounts: backward rolling into the blue, often through shoals of fish to explore the walls of the sea mounts, the level of exploration possible being determined by the level of current. The best sites include Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, Batu Balong (exceptionally beautiful site with shoals of fish spilling over the mount top onto the walls. So many fish we could not see the reef at times. We dived this twice. 2nd time the whole food chain seemed to be laid out in its respective shoals waiting for feeding time to kick off), Cannibal Rock (reckoned to be a world class dive, but we caught it in the wrong light & it was a little overcast), W Reef (I think the W must stand for ‘wipe-out’. We dived this in a mask ripping current), GPS Point (3 adjoining sea mounts covered with all the usual suspects – a great, great dive – and Gary judged the current perfectly).

Sloping Coral Shores: consistently world class reefs. It seemed as if every variety & colour of coral and anemone is laid out upon these reefs. I won’t list our sightings – but the guide books don’t lie you really do see a fantastic variety of reef species on almost every dive. No walls however – but it would be picky to complain about that! Highlights are Lighthouse Corner (twice inc. a leaf scorpion fish), GLD Passage (20 Jenkins Whip rays greeted us at 0730), Pelican Head (very different colours more greens/oranges in the soft corals/sponges – apparently due to local upwelling of nutrients), Siaba Kecil (where Gede took us on a successful Mandarin fish hunt – at midday!), Batu Moncho Reef (with a 3m x 1.8m fan), Star Wars (amazing soft corals in the shallows), Deep Purple & Hot Rocks (two mysterious low viz dives on sites that combine black sand & excellent reef. Hot rocks has geo thermal activity producing bubbles through the warm sand)

Sandy Critter sites: day, and especially night dives here are very good for critters – but for the true macro enthusiast, the critter sites of Alor (on my previous trip) gave better sightings of e.g. Frog fish, ghost pipe fish & rhinopias. Our highlights were demon stingers, so many scorpion fish, huge cuttle fish, stargazers, zebra eel, white ‘v’ octopus, free swimming striped morays, decorator crabs, zebra crabs, all sorts of cleaner shrimp, boxer shrimp, extensive varieties of nudibranchs, mantis shrimps, ribbon eels, bobtail squid, shrimp fish etc

Manta Dives: Lankoi (the Alley) dived this at 0730 & again 1100. 6 huge mantas put on a great display both times.

Dive Operations
Garry who diving is probably more interested in the currents than in the creatures that live in them reccies the dive site from a tender before giving a good briefing. The diving is done from a pair of tenders each having 2 tender operators & a DM. Your gear lives on the tenders all week. 32% nitrox no problem. Separate rinse tanks for cameras, computers, wetsuits are well set up & a large camera table. A nice touch is the tray of chilled water brought round as you kit up.

I took 5mm wetsuit, but 3mm would have been easily sufficient.

The dive deck is spacious & has recently been given a new non stick coating – which is a much needed improvement. Post dive hot showers available on the deck. Whilst Garry majors on the itinerary/currents etc, his colleague Gede must be one of the best spotters around. He’s really attentive on the dives. They both put a lot of energy into giving you the best possible diving experience.

When I posted a trip report on Komodo Dancer (Alor) in 2009, I was critical of the skill & lack of safety approach of the tender drivers. I’m pleased to update that this has now been addressed & the tender guys were excellent.

Boat Operations
Food is good: pre breakfast at around 0630 followed by main breakfast (eggs etc pancakes etc), lunch (always Indonesian buffet), afternoon snacks (e.g. banana fritters) & evening meal (mainly European dishes). Beer, soft drinks & a little local wine (dreadful) are included. Imported wine is available at a price US$40 +. On our trip people majored on the beer (Bintang). Shorts were on sale at $6 for a v generous measure.

All meals are taken outside under the canvas awning – which is just great.

Cabins & en suites are fine & well kept. Loads of hot water all day & good air con with individual controls in the cabin.

The boat takes 14 persons, but full marks to PH for running this trip with just 6.

Though I must admit, I preferred the ambience of a full boat on my previous trip.
I should just mention the scenery. For most of the trip you are close to the coast line & get great views of the shore/volcanic uplands.

Shore excursions
There were 4 shore excursions to hike hills, admire the views & check out the dragons. Due to a knee problem, I skipped these. My fellow travellers seemed to really enjoy them, but decent hikes in the middle of a 4 dive day in the baking sun must have been quite strenuous & potentially dehydrating.

Logistics
Internal flight from Bali to Labuan Bajo – well, just cross your fingers & hope.
I stayed at the Mercure Sanur for my Bali o/night. It was fine. The deluxe rooms are much nicer than the standard ones. There seemed to be quite a few similar quality hotels along the same strip.

On my previous trip to Indonesia, I flew Malaysian – who were fine. This time I flew Singapore - must be one of the best economy class airlines. I actually enjoyed the meal! Transfers in Singapore worked really well. 55 minutes including changing terminal with no probs.

Overall
All in all a great trip, which I thoroughly enjoyed. As I said upfront, put a good quality Komodo lob on your list – you’ll do some memorable diving.

Oh yes, Garry is quite the character and definitely knows his stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere with him, except maybe one of his up the hill, down the hill, no trail, skin your knee walks. Though reflection tells me "no trail" is where you want to be.

Wow, you got to do the trip with just 6 people?!

Our trip in 09 did most of the sites you mention, with a notable exception being GPS Point. Conditions weren't right. Isn't Batu Balong amazing with all the swirling currents clearly evident on the surface? Mantas were jumping out of the water as we started the dive.

Did they "texture" the raised spot down the middle of the deck?

We really liked and respected Gede too, and he's got that million dollar smile, making some nice photos from the trip.

No mention of the weather so it must have been good.

Did you stop at Moyo?

What an excellent trip report. Usually, I'm too lazy to read reports without pictures but your description of every site made me more excited for our Komodo liveaboard later this year. Thank you for sharing. :) Also, I'm glad to to know that you found a 3mm suit to be sufficient. I'm on the verge of buying a 5mm for November. Gotta find out if the temp drops dramatically during that month.

Hi fuggler & Shasta

Thanks for your positive comments on my report.

i'll try and answer the points that you raise:

* they've textured the whole of the dive deck & the area outside the bridge. It makes a huge difference.

* must agree Batu Bulong really is amazing

* no we didn't stop at Moyo. The shore excursions were at Blackberry Hill, Rinca, Horeshoe Bay, Padar Pink Beach & GLD Hill

*weather was 30+C all day everyday. I thought i'd blundered as the weather in Bali was v windy, but we had calm seas for 10 days.

* night dives/dinner. Night dives start about 6.15 so dinner was never later than 8pm. That worked well

* November temps: i did Alor last Nov & was very pleased to have 5mm. One thermocline there took us from 29C to 19C in just a few minutes. Not sure though if Komodo would also be cooler then

ps i forgot to mention in the report the 20 min Whaleshark encounter we had anchored at Sangeang. It just circled the Dancer - v curious & v close. Great snorkelling with it. Certainly perked up the surface interval!!

Cheers

John

Greetings John,

Wow, that sounds like it was the perfect trip. You've convinced me that Komodo should be on my short list. Very nice report.

I agree that PH should get kudos. However, in the current economy, most of the lob trips I've taken in the past two years have been more like half to three quarters full. And I also agree that just for social interaction (especially when you are traveling solo), the more the merrier.

If you decide to do this one again and want a dive buddy, let me know.

Regards,
Marta

Thanks, John.

We had pretty good weather in January too. Seemed like nearly every time we came up from a dive, the weather was beautiful.

I was wondering about the whaleshark you mentioned at the beginning. That must have been fantastic, and topped off the trip. I think I remember Sangeang was the one big volcano looking island.

I believe it was one of the Pink Beach sites where we did an amazing night dive. Saw everything in the book on that one dive from octopus to a huge snail looking animal, like 18" long, whose name escapes me, cruising along.

I brought 3MM and 5MM suits in January and only used the 5MM twice. I only felt cold on the Bird's Head dive when we went through some cold spots. I was happy to get off that bobbing boat when they anchored in the channel entrance.

Glad to hear dinner is earlier. That was one complaint I had. It was getting 9 to 9:30 on some nights. THat's a bit long from eating at noon and exercising all day.

The only thing I'd like Garry to improve is publishing a rough daily dive schedule. Most of the time we were on the same basic schedule but I got caught without camera gear ready a couple times when we suddenly decided to go earlier. Understand that conditions change and that's why we value Garry to detect that but a rough schedule was possible to give us an idea.

People think you have a lot of time to kill on a liveaboard but not really if you have a camera. Between checking your gear, checking nitrox, eating, writing in the log, buzzing about the last dive, changing whatever on the camera, taking pics and video of the beautiful topside spot you're in and just resting, the day is gone.

I'm surprised, based on your report and their $500 off offer, that more people aren't taking this trip. It really is great and you get to see some very good diving and it's relatively easy to get to Bali, rather than out to further islands. I see they are offering $1000 off of selected Raja Ampat trips too. Unfortunately, they raised all the prices $500 before the offer so it's only back to what it was in the past.

Did you dive a spot called Shotgun? That was a great drift dive and serious current. I remember the silversides were walls 40 feet high and so dense to darken the light. I remember hanging on the safety stop with Gede in there when giant trevallies suddenly sliced through the gloom checking us out, circling us a couple times.

Gee, I only have a few good memories... :)

Wow, wonderful trip report! & very envious that u have only 6 guest on board! & the whaleshark encounter - such a huge bonus!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom