Pulau Weh resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emm@nuel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

This is my first time on this forum.
My name is Emmanuel, I'm French. I’ve been diving for five years.

I am planning to go to Pulau Weh in early October.
I’ve understood the dive center of Lumba Lumba is very nice.
But, the rooms are not air conditionned.
I’ve found two resorts with AC : Leguna Resort and Flamboyant Gapang.

Do any divers who visited Pulau Weh know these resorts?

We visited Gapang and stayed at Lumba-lumba in 2008. Their room is clean, very spacious with good ventilation. we have no problem without AC - good sleep and good eat.
I saw another resort in Gapang with AC - don't know what resort, but in bad condition, not well maintained, and nobody there - and a bit far from the restaurants.

Hi Emmanuel

My wife and I went to P Weh in April and stayed at Casa Nemo (casa nemo).
They dont have aircon BUT the rooms are comfortable and the fan works well. They really have a stunning little place. The menu is a tad limited but what they do serve is very good.

Everything is very chilled and relaxed at Casa Nemo. We did two dives a day with them and that was perfect! I'm sure if you want to do more then they would accomodate this. Mars the owner led all our dives and he knows the reefs very well, he has been taught all the ins and outs by the guy who discovered the reefs in the 70's.

We loved it so much we are going back in December.

Pros:
- Best accomodation on the island
- Great little beach
- Good food
- The diving is chilled/ relaxed and personal (we dived with a max of 6 divers plus two DM's we saw a Lumba boat pull up with at least 20 divers on it!)
- Its closer to the main town and the ferry (only 15 -20 min away vs 45 -1hr)

Cons - Most of the dives require you to take a 20 -30 min boat ride across to Gapang area, BUT we got to see dolphins on a number of those trips and with their new boat it should be very comfortable.

The diving was good, we had 40m viz at one stage, unfortunately no big boys! But lots of reef fish and TONS of morays!! We saw at least 5 different species. Apparently the Tsunami destroyed the Manta cleaning station so they dont come round too often anymore. Which is a pity.

OH for your return trip to Banda Aceh airport ask Mars to hook you up with the taxi driver he uses regularily. AND if you have an hour or two to kill in BA then ask him to give you a tour of the city and all the Tsunami land marks. It is a sobering tour!!

Enjoy

Thanks for your information.

I saw another resort in Gapang with AC - don't know what resort, but in bad condition, not well maintained, and nobody there - and a bit far from the restaurants.
As you said, I’v read an old post in this forum about bungalows that were up the hill on Gapang that had A/C units but apparently it was empty at the time. And a friend who visited Gapang last July has just told me the same thing.
I’m afraid those bungalows belong to Leguna Resort or Flamboyant Gapang…

My wife and I went to P Weh in April and stayed at Casa Nemo
I will consider this option. But it’s a little far from Gapang area…
I’ve watched your video on YouTube. Nice clip, and useful.
I'm worried about mosquitos; and I noticed that your wife didn't wear long sleeves outside at night, I was wondering if you didn't have mosquitos in April.

What I like from Gapang beach is the house reef in front of Lumba-lumba; I enjoy the easy, and long night diving at the house reef as well as early morning diving; just before the breakfast - and these fellow will always waiting you:

cowfish5.jpg

mantis.jpg

Our favorite site is Batu Tokong, dozens of morays in small area

moray61.jpg

moray31.jpg

Just be careful with this half meter b****rd - the picture is blur as my hand was trembling when without warning he attacked me.

titan1.jpg

The Pulau Weh topsite is also beautiful; on the way to Gapang beach you'll see.

peman.jpg

I also recommend to allocate one day at banda aceh; take your time to see the city 6 years after tsunami; what left in the city, a 2600 tonne, 63 m floating power plant washed 5 km inland.

PLTD.jpg

and
boat8.jpg

Cheers

I'm worried about mosquitos; and I noticed that your wife didn't wear long sleeves outside at night, I was wondering if you didn't have mosquitos in April.

We had very little problems with mozzies, but it is Indo so you never know when they may attack so one should always take care. We used alot of mozzie repelent and that seemed to help. The sea breeze at night also kept them at bay.

As for being far from Gapang.... we never found that an issue. We prefer the quiet isolation. But each to their own.

Thanks everyone.

I've sent an email to Lummba Lumba and Casa Nemo. I'm looking forward to hearing from them.

@ Wisnu
Excellent pictures.
I always take very care of the Titan Triggerfish, specially when it protects a nest in the sand during the reproduction season.

Thanks everyone.

I've sent an email to Lummba Lumba and Casa Nemo. I'm looking forward to hearing from them.

@ Wisnu
Excellent pictures.
I always take very care of the Titan Triggerfish, specially when it protects a nest in the sand during the reproduction season.

I am looking at Pulau Weh as well, have you had any feedback or made any decisions.
We are looking at November so any current info gratefully received.
Thanks

Lumba Lumba was nice, the cottages quite comfortable & I believe had wifi and hot water. Like Wisnu said the shore diving is great - it was perhaps my favorite part.

Back
Top Bottom