Bali - The Japanese Wreck at Amed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
While I was in Bali in January I dived the Japanese wreck at Banyuning near Amed several times.

The wreck is the "other" shipwreck in north-east Bali and although it plays second fiddle to the Liberty wreck at nearby Tulamben, is an excellent dive and well worth making the fairly short journey to Amed if you are staying in the Tulamben area. The wreck is located in shallow water, just off the beach in Lipah Bay near the small village of Banyuning, which places it close to Gili Selang where the forces of the Indonesian Throughflow are at their most powerful.

Very little is known about the wreck and how it ended up sank at Banyuning – or even if it really was a Japanese ship.

In fact the only indication I could find about its heritage is that the nearly intact Asian style toilet found on the wreck made somebody in the past think that the ship must have been from Japan…

I have updated my site with a new location page for the Japanese Wreck.

The page includes a description of the wreck itself and the nearby reef and there are image galleries of both, plus how to get there and when to dive the wreck.

Don

Bali_11_Jan_Ahmed_D03_138_med.jpg

Yes a lovely dive site.Dived there quite a few times.The wreck has broken open now which is a pity but still good.There is a huge fan on one side which is very nice and great for photo's with the blue and fish hanging out,below and around to the left you can find fans with pigmy's on and the reef furher around to the left is very nice with shoals of fish all over.

Best is to dive around to the left at depth.I prefer around 16m as a nice level and as it is a bay,once you feel a current to come up over the reef in the shallows back to the wreck and enjoy the very nice coral area and fish on the way.

To the right of the wreck you can cross the bay to the other side and you can usually see eagle rays,finding good viz here and and diving 10am onwards due to position of the sun the site becomes a very nice dive

Last edited:
what a beautiful divesite...an absolute haven for fish. You can see all sorts of marine species here including the amazing Hippocampus Denise (Pigmy Seahorse)

Great shots Don! It's one of my favourite dive sites around Amed. On the good days it's an explosion of marine life and you are swimming in a fish soup. My favourite part of the dive is the big stag coral field about 30-40 meters to the left from the wreck. A must do dive when you are in Amed!

Back
Top Bottom