Tank Rack for Small RIB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all-

I've got a small (11ft) RIB that I'd like to dive with. While its easy enough to rig our gear and put the tank on, we tend to do two dives and I'd like to have something to secure the 2nd tanks easily. Anyone have any suggestions?

We always laid them in the floor and strapped them down.

N

We also laid them down and strapped them together. For single tanks, two round pieces of foam with lines between them stops the tank from rolling around.

Wrachet straps (aka "come along straps") with a couple of bits of pipe insulation foam inbetween. remember to rinse down good and keep'em greased, salt water EATS the cheap metal and it's bloody difficult to release'em if they're corroded.
i've an similar sized rib with a GRP (FRP) hull and was gonna fit two or four sizable stainless eyelets to strap to, to keep'em from bouncing. weight distribution will probably (did me) leave you wanting to place tanks at the front. i had one land in my lap last time out, you feel it!!!
good luck.
Dan

Since you have a RIB, put in a couple of eye bolts along the sides and lash the tanks down to those with cam straps. You can find cam straps in kayak places, they lash their boats to roof racks with them. Foam underneath will keep them from sliding fore and aft.
H04951.2 - Cam Straps (2ft - 15ft available) - Accessories - Car Racks - Kayaks & Inflatables - Sierra South River Store
Cheap, not too bulky and not sharp either.

Then lay your assembled gear on top of those tanks and tie those down as well. You can sit just aft of that and still steer your tiller.

I have seen in the UK tank racks for RIBs that are made from tubular stainless steel and the tanks are standing, up look on line at some UK diving web sites and I am sure you will find som pics of them . Wouldn't be too hard to make one up, maybe the ticket for a small rib. I have a rope that is strung across the floor boards at the right location to ballance the boat for planing and I just lay them down and hook the tank valve under it. Works great and keeps the tanks from moving back.
ZDD

I did some looking for you and here is a pic of what I am talking about. This one hols 8 tanks and is for sale on E bay (UK).

Attachments

• 6800_12.jpg
    6800_12.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 853
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom