Dreaming of Diving for a Living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henley

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am interested in hearing from those of you who dive for a living. Any advice would be great as well as recommendations on how to go about it and what to be prepared for.

I am currently only at Rescue level with many specialities but hope to get started next summer with making it my career.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Henley

I made the leap 25 years ago and have never looked back!. You will not get rich, but will have the experiences of no others.

I went on my first dive trip to the Cayman Islands and the people working on the Holiday Diver were having just too much fun, and I wanted that. I asked one of them how they got that job and she told me she was an instructor, so I returned home and started working on my Instructor certificate. However, my CD told our class that one we obtained that rating, we were really just a dime a dozen, so I knew I needed more.

I taught as many classes as I could (I was doing this part time only) and continued my education. I received another 5 or so Instructor speciality ratings and then decided where in the world I wanted to be and went.

I took a leave of absence, rented out my condo, put my stuff in storage and left. I worked throughout the caribbean for 5 years. BEST TIME OF MY LIFE. Although living abroad is not for everyone, I watched many a SCUBA Instructor have a meltdown during their time away from the states, but I loved it.

You will not get rich, but it is only the experiences and memories that can never be taken from you. I returned home and got a real job again, but remain teaching on a part time basis. There is no bigger thrill for me than to help a person experience breathing underwater for the first time.

I have never regretted my decision.

If you have time, check out some of my videos. They also are a passion and good luck with your decision.

YouTube - Manta Salsa Dancing on the Solmar V in Socorro Isles

If you're interested in doing an internship in Thailand where you can do all your training "on-the-job" up to whatever level you want I have a store credit with them for 149,449 Thai Baht --> which I'm looking at transferring to someone else for a lesser rate (They've assured me they have no problem with this)

Hi all,

I am interested in hearing from those of you who dive for a living. Any advice would be great as well as recommendations on how to go about it and what to be prepared for.

I am currently only at Rescue level with many specialities but hope to get started next summer with making it my career.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Henley
Just curious are you thinking like divemaster / instructor for a living; or actually doing the crazy commercial work? You can probably make good money with the commercial work I've read (no idea if that was reliable though) but it doesn't sound like the most fun diving conditions around (the worst would have to be diving through sewers).

welcome aboard

Thanks for the insights! Are specialities what make you stand out as an instructor? Is there anything else to work on (other than lots of experience of course!). I would prefer to work as a dive instructor than in commerical work but what range of commerical work is there and what links do you have? I do not exactly dream of diving in sewers for a living but I am sure there is other work out there that could be interesting and less smelly. :)

Finally, what do you all think about how the crisis will effect the industry? I am beginning to worry that now is not the best time to work in a tourism dominated field. How hard is it to find work once certified?

A Captains license and a certification to work on diesel engines are specialties that will help you stand out.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom