Newbie from Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devolution365

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been lurking for the last few days and am really enjoying the site. The information is overwhelming, the pictures stunning, and Wonder Boy's story (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=61189&page=1&pp=10) is making me feel really bad that I've been certified 7 years now and haven't dove since my open water dives! :banghead:

My story: I've always been interested in marine life, but the intrest grew exponentially when my Dad took us to John Pennekamp State Park on a family vacation while I was in high school. We rented a boat and motored out until we lost site of land. (That made my Mom pretty nervous.) My Dad found the site, tied the boat up and we all put on our masks, snorkels, and fins. Then we just sat there looking at each other. Everyone was afraid to be the first in the water. We're from Chicago, so we start thinking about the differences between the ocean and Lake Michigan back home (mainly sharks). My Dad's the big Marine, so he took charge and stepped out onto the platform. Just then we see a flash below the surface of the water. We found out a day or two before that fish do that when they're in danger -further enforcing in our minds the possibility of danger (sharks) down there. My Mom at this time starts taking her gear off saying that she's gunna stay put and watch the boat.

My Dad then took a deep breath and jumped in (no guts, no glory style). As soon as his head bobbed back up to the surface he said we ALL (including my Mom) were to get in the water -we wouldn't believe it. So, once again we all look at each other thinking Dad's okay, but who's next? I ended up taking the plunge next. It was amazing! A site I will never forget. The first thing I saw was a school of black and white fish with bright yellow fins, then the coral, the deep blue color of the water, then more fish -all shapes, sizes, and colors.

So, in college a friend looked into SCUBA lessons, and I scraped up the moey to go along. When it came time for the open water dives he decided he'd do his in Floriday. Well, I didn't have the means to go along, so I procrastinated until October and then did my dives in ice cold water, but hey -I was certified! Then, my friend moved away permanently and I had no one to dive with.

What brought me back to diving is my fiance. We've taken a couple cruises together and they've resulted in a couple of really nice snorkeling tours. While planning our wedding (to be held on a cruise in January) my fiance said he wanted to get SCUBA certified so we can go diving instead of snorkeling on this trip. Well, he didn't have to ask me twice -I called the nearest dive shop and he was enrolled right away (and I enrolled in a refresher as well). He'll do his open water dives this weekend, and I'm going along too for the practice.

So, that's my long intro. If you got through all of that and have any advice for me -we're trying to decide whether to dive in St Thomas or Nassau on our wedding cruise. We'll most likely go through the cruise line for the dives (Royal Caribbean). We can do one island or the other, so which is recommended? My fiance, Ed, is very interested in the "tongue of the ocean" thing, but we have so little time in Nassau (1pm-7pm vs 8am to 6pm in St Thomas). I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions on where to dive...

Welcome aboard and what an exciting time in your life!! Wish I was trying to decide which island to dive on during my wedding cruise. Well... I've been to both St. Thomas and Nassau, Bahamas but not diving. I do know that you could probably also dive St. John, which is a short ferry trip from St. Thomas, and in my opinion a prettier island. I also know that the Bahamas has world-class shark diving. So... instead of answering your question now I have made your life more complicated! Sorry about that, but I know someone around here will give you your answer.

wetrat

Welcome to the board. Good luck on the marriage and the cruise/diving trip.

Hi there devolution365, welcome to SB, can't help you on diving in St Thomas or Nassau, but if you post your question here you will get better responses.
Congratualtions on you wedding and have fun diving on your cruise.

David

:icecream1 Hi there devolution365, I just wanted to make you feel welcome, when I joined many people introduced themselves. On Scuba Board, you will find there are many informative divers here. It’s a good place too, for meeting other divers. If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me.

Enjoy being a member and Safe Diving. From Matt.

That's quite a story - hope you like our sport more this time around. Let us know....

:zorros: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Thanks for the hearty welcome!

I'm sure I'll have fun wherever I dive, so while I'm open to your suggestions of St Thomas vs Nassau, but I'll just be happy to be diving at all in January (I won't be missing the Chicago winter at all over that week I'm sure!).

I loved diving last time I went, although I swore I'd never do it in 50 degree waters again -but here I am gearing up for another dive, same place and the weater temp at 25 feet is 56 right now. Brrr... I'm more of a 70 degree person myself, but I digress... No, the only thing that kept me away was the lack of a buddy, and that's fixed now I guess -I'll be married to my "buddy" in just a few months! :D

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.

hi and welcome to the board! you really got it all planned out. good luck and all the best. give us feedback when its all done. see you at the boards:)

Well, the fiance's 4 OW dives are done, and I tagged along for all of them. We dove the same quarry I did my OW dives at 7 years ago (Haigh's Quarry in Kankakee, IL). Both of us had a lot of fun and felt very comfortable by the end when we got to do some buoyancy tests like swimming through a short tube and a suspended diamond.

On the last dive of the day I came to a realization -every time I threw a penny in a fountain to make a wish as a kid, I wished I could fly. That's what diving is to me. It's amazing to hover above a porta potty (there's one sunk in the quarry) or move up or down a wall effortlessly by breathing deeper or shallower...

But, I've had enough with the bluegill for awhile; I can't wait until we dive the caribbean in January. I've snorkeled the islands so many times, so I've gotten a glimpse of what's out there, but there's only so much you can see at the surface or for the one minute or so that I can hold my breath while diving down for a closer look. Luckily, my fiance is as hooked on SCUBA as I am, and we're already talking about doing an Advanced class or at least starting with some electives. We also plan to dive at least one weekend a year so we can keep our skills up. The quarry's fun if we can't make it anywhere else.

Anyway, that's it from me for now. One of my other hobbies is photography, so I've been searching the archives on this board for ways of integrating the two. I'd love to come back from St Thomas or Nassau with pics to post!

See ya' around,
-Erica

Good to hear....
devolution365:
On the last dive of the day I came to a realization -every time I threw a penny in a fountain to make a wish as a kid, I wished I could fly. That's what diving is to me. It's amazing to hover above a porta potty (there's one sunk in the quarry) or move up or down a wall effortlessly by breathing deeper or shallower...
Good buoyancy control. :thumb: And that flying feeling is neat, isn't it. Be careful in the Carrib, tho - rules are only suggestions down there... :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom