Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bennett

New
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this so a big hello to everyone out there. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I have recently started a college course and theres a part of it that involves statistical analysis.... yawn! The subject is of my choosing and being a keen diver I thought diving would make the perfect choice as not only would it help me get the grade needed it would also be of interest to me. Basically what I need to do is get figures of fatalities/serious injuries (where a trip to the chamber is required) and compare it to the diving population. It needs to be for 2 regions, so I was thinking that I might have America and the UK as the chosen ones and back dated for 15 - 20 years. I would like to be able to show how the diving community has grown and what effects this has had on number of deaths/people needing treatment. Hopefully I will be able to summarise that the number of divers has grown dramatically but casualties have remained low showing that advances in equipment safety and better diver education.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

yup contact dan, if ever they should have the numbers and the statistics you are looking for. its defitely worth shot.

Welcome to the board!

Joe

mixdiver:
You need to contact DAN Divers Alert Network They will be the biggest help.

Couldnt agree more. I am a new diver, but joined DAN almost immediately after cruising around their website for awhile. Best money I have spent yet.

Here is a link to check. I think you have to register to get this, but if I remember correctly I registered before I actually joined DAN.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/report/index.asp

Here is an explanation from the page.

DAN Medical Center
Injury Report and Statistics

Fifty years ago, fatalities and serious diving injuries were common. Today, they are rare and often seem to be associated with unsafe behaviors or hazardous conditions, but they also occur without apparent cause. Understanding the contributing factors could lead to safer diving. The primary goal of DAN's Annual Report on Decompression Illness, Diving Fatalities, and Project Dive Exploration is to further this understanding.

They have reports issued from 2001 to 2005, each deals with the stats from 2 years prior I believe. I have downloaded them all but havent read but the latest.

Good research,

Willie

Thanks for everyones help, I have sent a email to DAN to try and get info off them as well. If anyone would like a copy of the info then please feel free to ask for it and I'll send it to you ASAP.

Cheers, Dan.

Yep, go to DAN, but I guess you knew that already...

:zorros: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom