Hello from Daytona Beach!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maccagirl

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Mandi. I just got certified over the weekend with my husband. I have to say it was a long road for me! I had an anxiety attack at the deep end of the pool and it took me a week to get the courage to go back. My instructors were so patient and I finally got through. I'm still not comfortable going real deep yet. I think alot of my anxiety was knowning I had to go down and perform my skills. I did them well but I was still nervous. On our last dive they let me and my husband just swim around and I noticed a big difference because I knew I could just have fun so I'm hoping I will start to feel a lot more comfortable if I can do my own thing.That is how I am with everything though, I have to go at my own pace.

We did our OW dives at Alexander Springs and Devils Den. I think we will go back to Alex. next week because I want to really get used to things. I do want to do a shallow reef dive in florida, does anyone have any suggestions?? When I say shallow I mean the most 20ft. I absolutely loved the fresh water fish, and my husband tells me that is nothing compared to saltwater so I'm excited to see some colorful fish.

Hey Mandi, welcome to ScubaBoard, well I sure hope you get over your anxiety of the water, it is not a good thing to have as a diver. I have alway been very comfortable in the water and never felt anxiety about being in the deep. My first dive was in Mexico before being certified (I know a bad thing to do) and I just loved the freedom of being underwater for such a long time without having to surface for air. Hope you find your freedom too.

David

Welcome to the board!
Every dive will get better. Take your time and make every dive fun.

Joe

welcome to the board Mandi.This is a great place for divers.
Congrats on your certification!
Stick with the diving because it only gets better now.My wife and myself got certfied about a month and a half ago.She experienced the same things as you mentioned.She was really excited about getting certed with me but after all the drills(which is for our own good)the anxiety set in.She made it through ow dives in Vortex springs but she had pretty much decided that that was enough for her.We later went on a wreck dive with friends in Panama City beach.She was very anxious before the dive and was not planning on going with us when it was time to drop in.Everyone on the boat was very nice and no one forced her, but she decided to go at the last minute.Going down the line the vis was very low ,which I am sure didnt help with her excitement.Once we reached the wreck the vis greatly improved and all the marine life was swarming the wreck.Her eyes lit up and she has been loving diving every since.
Be patient,get comfortable and enjoy your dives!Training is crucial but after obtaining the basic skills all dives are not repetitve drills.
Looking forwarding to seeing your post after you make that dive that gets you totally addicted.
good luck and safe diving!

Hi Mandi,

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Take your time and practice whenever you get the chance. Good luck,

wetrat

Don't feel bad about the challenges - you'll learn and adjut. Key Largo is great for first time reef divers, shallow reefs, operators used to working with :newbie:s

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Mandi,

Welcome to the board. Practice as whenever you can. You will be amazed at how fast you will learn to love diving. And your husband is right, when you see all the sea life and colors you are going to be hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom