Hi from Illinois

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovemydives

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to Everyone!

I'm a relatively new diver who recently got AOW cert. I've done about 20 dives, mostly cold water quarry/lakes, but have experienced the beauty of St. Thomas this past summer. Wow, what a difference.

I'm enjoying my new mid-life passion--just can't get enough of it now. I read about the "sickness" some of you speak of....I now understand. (wish my husband did--non diver)

Looking forward to learning from everyone....

Hi and welcome to the board. Now that you have AOW under your belt, the time is ripe to practice, practice and practice more the skills you were taught. I understand how you feel in comparing tropical diving to local diving. However, if it wasn't for local diving, I wouldn't have appreciated the Carribean as much as I do. Look forward to seeing you around the board. Be safe!

Where in Illinois are you? There are many of us who dive regularly in the southern IL area, and would be happy to have you join us. Even through the winter.

theskull

theskull-

I am in central Illinois--have heard about Mermot....several from my dive shop go there for AOW. Would like to dive Bonne Terre this winter....have you?

lovemydives:
theskull-

I am in central Illinois--have heard about Mermot....several from my dive shop go there for AOW. Would like to dive Bonne Terre this winter....have you?

Many times. I believe every Midwest diver should dive Bonne Terre at least once. It is beautifully lighted, crystal clear visibility, and the water never gets colder than 55 F, even in middle of winter.

After diving it once, you can then decide if it is worth the high price, stair climbing with all your wet gear, and restrictive guided dives. I say yes, at least occasionally--many say no. But you have to dive it to know if it is worth it to you.

theskull

I dive Mermet often. Will be there the weekends of Oct 29-30 (uw pumpkin carving contest) and Nov 5-6 (White's drysuits and full-face mask trials available).

Hope to see ya down there some time,

theskull

What are the restrictions on diving? (briefly) I don't have much info on it other than what their website says.

I've still got SO much to learn. Each dive I do is a new experience. I can't see how I'll ever get tired of doing this--but lugging equipment is a big downside. There HAS to be an easier way! :D

Far_X.....

The divemaster I dove with in St. Thomas said in his opinion that if you are trained in cold water, that tropical diving is MUCH easier. I didn't have problems with buoyancy in the salt water....no hood/gloves and 5mm suit to deal with!

lovemydives:
Hi to Everyone!

I'm a relatively new diver who recently got AOW cert. I've done about 20 dives, mostly cold water quarry/lakes, but have experienced the beauty of St. Thomas this past summer. Wow, what a difference.

I'm enjoying my new mid-life passion--just can't get enough of it now. I read about the "sickness" some of you speak of....I now understand. (wish my husband did--non diver)

Looking forward to learning from everyone....
Welcome to SB. This is a great place to learn alot. I did my AOW in strip mine near Pinkneyville, IL so moving to Hollywood, FL was a great opportunity to enjoy the sport year-round.

Happy diving.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom