Hello from Seattle, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seattle_sailor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

As a long time diver that is new to this board I wanted to introduce myself.

I have logged many dry suit dives in the Great Lakes, Pacific NorthWest, and under the ice but I am typically diving from sailboats in tropical destinations these days.

My favorite dives are reef, wreck, and Cenote cavern diving.

Looking forward to reading and participating on this forum.
Patrick

and under the ice
Too rich for my blood!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Sounds like you've got an enviably broad range of experience.

When you dove under the ice, was it mainly for the scenic views of the overhead ice sheet, or were you looking at things on the bottom? Did you stay shallow or delve deep?

I've never had anything to do with ice diving, so a bit curious what rewards you find in it.

Richard.

Hi Patrick.

You really from Seattle, or a suburb? (I live officially in the Green Lake neighborhood, but I describe my house as having an amazing view of the I-5 sound barrier.)

Visibility is good in Puget Sound right now. Cold above water, but the best time of year to be under the water!

Too rich for my blood!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Sounds like you've got an enviably broad range of experience.

When you dove under the ice, was it mainly for the scenic views of the overhead ice sheet, or were you looking at things on the bottom? Did you stay shallow or delve deep?

I've never had anything to do with ice diving, so a bit curious what rewards you find in it.

Richard.
Thanks for the response Richard.

My first time under the ice was in White Bear Lake, MN close to where I grew up with my friend Mark Dalgaard.

We used a 36in chainsaw and auger to cut a triangular hole in the ice.
We attached ice climbing screws to the pieces of ice to pull them out of the water.

It was nothing glamorous and we only descended about 15 ft below the surface.

Although we did see a few fish the most interesting thing for me was how the light diffused through the triangular opening and the surface of the ice from below.

Later that year I helped salvage a snowmobile that found a hole in the ice but I can't say I am looking for reason to spend time under the ice these days.

Patrick

Attachments

• White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_01.jpeg
    White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_01.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
  • White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_02.jpeg
    White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_02.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
  • White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_03.jpeg
    White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_03.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22
  • White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_04.jpeg
    White Bear Lake ice dive 1997_04.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the response Richard.

My first time under the ice was in White Bear Lake, MN close to where I grew up with my friend Mark Dalgaard.

Then we used a 36in chain saw and auger to cut a triangular hole in the ice.
We attached ice climbing screws to the pices of ice to pull them out of the water.

It was nothing glamorous and we only decended about 15 ft below the surface.

Although we did see a few fish the most interesting thing for me was how the light diffused through the triangular opening and the surface of the ice from below.

Later that year I helped salvage a snowmobile that found hole in the ice but I can't say I am looking for reason to spend time under the ice these days.

Patrick

Hi Seaweed Doc,

I live in Bellevue, WA so close to you. I agree that this time of year offers some great diving in Puget Sound.

However my parents have retired in Tulum, Mexico so I typically dive Cozumel and the Cenotes at least once each winter with my father.

Patrick

Hi Seaweed Doc,

I live in Bellevue, WA so close to you. I agree that this time of year offers some great diving in Puget Sound.

However my parents have retired in Tulum, Mexico so I typically dive Cozumel and the Cenotes at least once each winter with my father.

Patrick
Do your parents want to adopt a 57 year old? :wink:

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

Hello from Bellingham and welcome to the board. Give a yell if you want wreck info!

Hello, I myself dive in the Pacific NorthWest but find that I do prefer the warmer water given a choice! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom