Hello!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Name is Mark. I'm in lovely Omaha, NE. Have several hobbies, but motocross and skydiving have been my favorite. MX is my most favorite, but can't afford both right now, so skydiving has taken a back seat. As I am heavy in to forums associated with those activities, and have learned a TON, not to mention met some great people, I knew coming on a site like this one would be my best first step.

Anyway, trying to plan/save for a vacation next year and my wife and I have always wanted to SCUBA. Have been researching local training and am planning on pulling the trigger soon. I see that they recommend having the basics when you come to class (mask, fins, snorkel.) As motocross and skydiving take $$$ to start out and maintain, I have learned on-line stores are where the best prices are. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE supporting local businesses and do so whenever reasonable. However, if the cost savings is significant, I do go on-line (it's a budget thing...no reason to pay $70 for something when I can pay $50 for the same thing.)

So, not only am I saying "Hi!" I'm looking for some advice.

- What are some of the best on-line supply stores you guys have found?
- What are reliable brand names for SCUBA equipment? (mostly the basics right now)
- Any general advice you can offer on the best way to approach the beginners classes?
- What is a reasonable charge for lessons and the OW cert dives? (assuming we can do the OW cert dives locally.)
- Is buying used equipment (other than mask, fins, snorkel) recommended?

I will go on to do some searching here on my questions above, but wanted to at least throw them out there so you guys know what's on my mind. Thanks all and hope to converse with you very often!

Hi Mark, welcome! I suggest this not only as a employee but as a diver, check out Leisure Pro. Not only do we have a HUGE inventory of equipment but we carry most major names in the industry. This will not only give you an idea of what's on the market but also let you know what kind of prices to expect. In addition there are alot of good dive magazines online (X-ray, Undercurrent, Aquaviews) with great equipment reviews. Don't despair, the more research you do, the more you'll have to shoot the breeze with on the boat ride to the dive spot :wink: Used equipment is definetly accepted, just make sure to get it checked out before diving in.

Hello and welcome to SB!

You might find that some people are definately loyal to their brands. Buying some used equipment is ok, but make sure it has been checked out and is in good (excellent) condition.

You could also try renting first to see what features you like on certain equipment.

Pricing for certification varies from place to place but since diving is an "extreme" sport, go with your gut on the instructor.

Welcome to your new addiction...(as the bumper stickers from tattoo places always say...)

welcome aboard

Well, it's taken some time, but we're finally "pulling the trigger". Taking the Open Water Cert. course June 1,2, and 3. Scheduled for our check dives June 30 and 31. Have all of our basic equipment and really looking forward to it. Have watched the training video twice and on our second time through the book (hoping to be as ready as possible to ace the course.) I'm sure we're probably overdoing it right now, but what the heck. Looking forward to being fullfledged members of the community soon!

Welcome! No, you're not overdoing it. Take the education seriously. It could save your life or keep you from getting hurt. In addition, the learning is fun and you should get the most out of it. You should also not be shy about milking your instructor for every bit of information you can. Most of them are happy to comply because they love the sport and the love teaching.

As you heard above, there are a number of online stores. I use LP, scuba.com, scubatoys.com to name a few. Never had a bad experience with any of them. On the other hand, you should also consider supporting your local dive shop. There is some equipment that is very personal (mask and BCD, especially) where you will want to try things on and they can be very helpful with that. I agree that renting is a good strategy, but on the other hand not all brands are available so you may not be able to try what you want. Used gear is fine, with all of the normal caveats -- different gear is subject to different issues, obviously. I have different brands I like for different things. It is largely a matter of personal preference. In general, though, for serviceable things you should probably stay with mainstream brands that can be serviced locally (esp regulators) by your LDS.

Good luck wiht OW!

Back
Top Bottom