Heyhey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, how's it going? I'm only just getting started in Scuba diving and currently doing my open water level certification. I've been watching Scuba from a far through one of my good friends who is a certified diver and who encouraged me to start since I was so interested. I've learned a great deal from him so far but I also want to broaden my audience that I learn from. I thought registering here would help me greatly as I'm trying to take in the most I can for skills, knowledge and gear, that and being part of communities is fun. Last night I completed my first pool dive and loved almost every second of it (I was too heavily weighted and the instructor hadn't yet showed us how to use BCD inflation/ let us. I think my running joke amongst my friends will be I either never sink, or sink like a stone for the moment until I learn what weight I really need (coming up in class).

I have just a few quick starter questions however.
1. If I'm buying dive computers (ie. Oceanic Veo 2.0 w/ NAVCON) all dive computers are sold as baseline SPG units right? They never seem to mention this and I'm figuring because it's that standard obvious decision.
2. Any item that receives regular service (ie. cylinders and regulators) should probably be checked out/ serviced when first purchased right? Just to ensure that they are indeed safe/ in working order? or are they already "pre-serviced" from the manufacturer and guaranteed for a bit?
3. Regarding my little intro, aside from trying and testing it, are there any formula's related to weighting that calculates body weight, gear and wetsuits to how much weight I need? I'm probably thinking no given everyone's displacement is bound to be different but asking seems harmless.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

? # 1. I'm not sure if I understand your question, but Dive computers can be sold as wrist units w/o SPG, as consoles w/SPG or as air-integrated computers that have the tank pressure so no SPG.

?#2. Absoutely, new gear needs to be assy., tested and set to spec.

/#3.There are many factors that affect how much wt. you need.

Welcome to scuba board!

your OW manual (at least the PADI OW manual does) contains a formula for guessing your weight needs based on your body weight, exposure gear, and salt vs fresh water. I can't remember it exactly, but goes something like 10% of your body weight plus 4 lbs, and adjustments are made for thicker exposure suits, and water type.

I think this is generally a good starting point, but is not as good as a proper weight check (which you will do in your class).

Thanks for the welcome guys!

beaverdivers:
? # 1. I'm not sure if I understand your question, but Dive computers can be sold as wrist units w/o SPG, as consoles w/SPG or as air-integrated computers that have the tank pressure so no SPG.
I was referring to this one specifically (clicky!), just trying to be cost effective while still searching for quality as far as getting a console that is streamlined/ integrated with required features. Scuba diving isn't exactly cheap and I just want to make sure I'm buying something that will not only last me, but me useful as I mature as a diver! From what I can see from my research, there doesn't seem to be one image or description that has the integrated compass, spg and digital display all in one but there are images of say the 2-module console with digital display and spg sans compass (which according to my friend is something I'll want for navigation [makes sense]). Does anyone have experience with this model?

EDIT: I found the answer to the above :)

Last edited:
That just plays into my narcissism, I'm honoured :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom