Truk Lagoon (Bucket List)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Handy99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone.Just signed up as a new member. Been diving since 1976 in our cold salty waters. Dove my guts out for some years (350+) and then decided to give it a break for 20 plus years except for warm water dives on tropical vacations. Now that I'm getting on in years(61) I'm starting to check off things on my bucket list. Being a bit of a war history buff Truk Lagoon has been on top of the list for as far back has I can remember. So with in the next couple of years I'm deciding to check it off the list. Already decided to stay on board the Odyssey as I've heard nothing but good things about them. Never did get into the tech type diving as it wasn't around in my days but differently wouldn't bother me to get adventurous and do some what deeper dives. If any members have been onboard with the Odyssey ,would sure like to know what to expect.

Nice to be here......Andy

i did the Odyssey with my wife
the Captain Nelson is a Awsome guy the crew very good
the boat is stunning food very good accomadation is very clean n tidy large cabins
the Diving simply Wonderful the way they run no fixed dive times its a case of dive when YOU want to and the guides take you where ever you want to go or a guide of the best places they take full care of you the soft corals outside on the wrecks is amazing but the interia penitrations WOW we will be going back!!!!

Welcome, I have been on the Odyssey twice. The diving is very easy and right from the ship. The only time the tender is used is perhaps for the SFO Maru. The rooms are adequate and the food would best be described as good comfort food. There is lots. The routine is up at 6:30 when ship moves to the first site of the day. From there 4-5 dives are made with the last being a night dive. As for tech - not really needed. But what is need is complete understanding of your dive computer as you may find yourself in an unplanned deco state. In many cases you can resolve it by ascending to a more shallow depth and check out to flora and fauna on the masts. If you are not diving doubles request one of the LP108 cylinders so you have a bit more of a gas buffer.

The flights are long and it is worth while planning to arrive early to get over the jet lag (and incase of flight screw ups). And it is worth doing a few dives with Blue Lagoon as they can take you to wrecks that the Odyssey might not be visiting. Or one of my favorite was Shark Island which is a cleaning station and where sharks line up like you would at a car wash.

Thanks for the quick response .Ya, I've heard nothing but awesome thing about the boat and all activities. Most of my gear is outdated so I'll be purchasing some new stuff for the trip(reg-bcd_computer etc)Looking at getting a Suunto Zoop,heard it was pretty user friendly and easy to learn as this will probably be the only time I use it. Probably pick up a nitrox friendly reg,lot of deals around. Never did own a bcd. Dove all my years with a Poseidon dry Unisuit, way to bulky for bcd. I'll try and talk a few old dive buddies into going, if not I'll just cruise this site for trips. Might take a Nitrox course here or just wait till I get onboard and take the one they have. Everything will be right there. I've had a GoPro for a few years so I've been playing with it on my warmer dives.....cool little camera. That's it for now.....thanks again

Wife and I did the Odyssea March 2012 we are also in our 60's. We have done several liveaboards and this one is at the top in all categories with the exception of food. We thought it was sub standard. Rooms, dive deck and fill system are top notch. They have a CO monitor in line. You never see that. Get a good computer and take a Nitrox course. Most dives can get below rec levels. The crew is great and know the wrecks. Vis was murky. Lots of anenomes. Make sure you do some refresher dives before you leave. It is a L O N G flight. We stayed a day in Hawaii flew to Guam stayed a day there and then on to Truk. The return trip was straight through.

some thing i should just add get yourselves good strong torches!! for inside the wrecks!!!

You say the vis was murky.Do you mean inside the wrecks?What thickness of wetsuit did you take along?I see they have a deco station in place below the boat and you can have bottles tied there.Do they supply the regs for the smaller bottles or do you have to pack extra regulars for this?Thanks for the good torch advice.I definitely would take a bright one

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 07:21 AM ----------

You say the vis was murky.Do you mean inside the wrecks?What thickness of wetsuit did you take along?I see they have a deco station in place below the boat and you can have bottles tied there.Do they supply the regs for the smaller bottles or do you have to pack extra regulars for this?

You are in a lagoon with a lot of decaying ships which makes the water murky. The dive boat supplies the regs on the extra bottles.
Something to note, the dive on the San Fransisco Maru is awesome and also the ultimate " trust me" dive. Any way, they have a bailout bottle hanging at 90 feet, they dive in groups and someone in any group may grab that bottle ,which they don't replace ,so don't depend on it being there. Plan your dive based on your back gas and not on hang bottles.
Buy a back up computer. Dive both your primary and backup. Bring an extra mask and a good dive repair kit as you are a long way from anything.

Thanks for the info on the extra bottles. As my diving days are winding down not up my purchase of a backup computer is out. I still haven't got the first one yet. How deep of a dive is the San Fransisco Maru ? Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom