New to diving - Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike in Wixom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Got certified recently....wife does not like water.....so I am a solo.....Is there places around that I can go and dive as a solo or an add on to a group. I was thinking of going to White Star Quarry tomorrow and getting some more experience.....Is there enough divers around for me to be safe as a solo or should I postpone and try to join a group before I just head down there?

I was certified when I was on vacation in Jamaica....I may not have conveyed my message correctly.....I was never considering diving alone.....I was thinking of showing up at White Star and trying to "latch on" with a group of divers since I was a solo.....sorry for the confusion....I appreciate the advice and warnings.....anyways.....I went to the local dive shop here in Novi....they are allowing me to go down with them next weekend and I am sure I can make a couple of friends through them......people on the message board have also said they would dive with me if I can find someone.....nice people

There are a few groups you can join here and on facebook. If you join on facebook you can post looking for people to dive with and usually get some responses.

Ohio Quarry Divers
Great Lakes Wrecking Crew (all over chicago, indiana, michigan, ohio etc. Dive the Great Lakes and train and dive at the Quarries)
Michiana Divers

This time of year it might be easier for you to try and hook up with someone before heading out. A vast majority of the people there will be in classes so it will be difficult to dive with them. There was a post the other day of someone who ended up sitting at the quarry all day because he couldn't find anyone to dive with.

I've never had a problem finding anyone to dive with. I am in a similar situation to you.

Back
Top Bottom