Certified yesterday, new to this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I live in northern va and got my padi open water cert yesterday In Crystal river, fl.

Were traveling to roatan at the end of October. I don't think I'll have a chance to dive between now and then.

Need suggestions about bout what dive shops I should choose in roatan, as I'm new and will be nervous!

any suggestions for a new diver? I'm so excited to do this!

amy

Welcome to diving.

Tips? Don't be nervous :), dive as much as you can, be conscientious of silting by not doing it, don't use your hands to swim around, and find ways to make it fun so you do more of it.

Welcome to scuba and the forums! You are going to have so much fun and October will be here so soon! Check out the Caribbean specific forums for Roatan dive op recommendations! It sounds like one of the top spots in the Caribbean for new divers. I have only snorkeled there pre-certification and its a great place -many sb-ers return to again and again to dive, so you will get a lot of good recommendations for shops.

General newbie diving tips:
Review your OW and computer manual before each dive vacation (plane is great for this)
When you get there, take it slow with your setup, asking questions if you don't understand and letting the dive shop know you're new.
Don't ever let anyone push you to dive if you aren't feeling it or to dive beyond your abilities.
Buoyancy is really the first and constant thing to work on.

I still get nervous before each plunge, but once you are seeing all of the cool things you will relax and enjoy!

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Congrats on your cert. Remember to Relax & Have Fun.

Roatan is everything from hostels to maybe 4* resorts. With several All-Inclusive Dive resorts all over the island also.

Cocoview is extremely popular in the latter category. Probably the best known/loved AI dive resort on Roatan. You may not be able to get a room there this October. They're on two of the better (almost the only) shore dives on Roatan - Newman's Wall and the Prince Albert Wreck. It's a long wreck, purposely sunk and dive safe. The top deck is only about 25' and I believe it's on the sand at 70'. So well within your capabilities if you want to try a wreck dive.

Anthony's Key on the other side of the island is also good. You probably could do the Dolphin Dive there also - it just requires O/W plus the ability to demonstrate mask clearing - in case the dolphins knock yours off. It's an easy dive 5mins. from the resort on a flat, featureless sandy bottom at 60'. Good for both you and the dolphins. AKR also dives many of the better dive sites in their area.

Both will have a small fleet of boats with divers of all skill levels on them.

Nicer with more of a valet approach to diving - small boats, small dive groups - is Barefoot Cay/Barefoot Divers. There can't be 12 rooms/villas on the whole resort so Barefoot Divers can provide a real valet dive experience - they'll set up your gear, carry it, clean it and provide a DM with every group - sometimes that means the new divers get their own DM and do one part of a site while the more advanced divers do another.

Reef House Resort is a slightly less expensive, more dive focused option due to location. IDK much about it but others will here.

There's also Fantasy Island but they've gone thru so many ownership changes and remodels that I have no idea what's going on there now. Some friends were there a few years ago and said the resort buildings themselves were tired - no hot water some days and the AC was marginal. Not as important in October but it will still be really humid then most likely. Just across the channel from CCV so they share the shore dive sites.

Going east on the north side past AKR is Turquoise Bay. It's in a quieter area and more of a drive to anything. Subway Watersports on-site and they do cruise dives so maybe will have a higher mix of newer divers.

Then there's about a dozen good dive shops in the West End. And twice that many accommodations in all price ranges. Almost all the nightlife is there as well. I often recommend Coconut Tree Divers - their website has a whole West End section that details many options in that area. Reef Gliders, Native Sons or West End would also be good choices. Most will list some sort of accommodations deal on their websites as well. Everything from hostels to decent weekly apts. to pretty upscale accommodations are available in the area. Most in town are across the street from the water and fronted by various shops/bars/restaurants so views can be obstructed.

They do a lot of dive training in the West End so the likelihood of your being shadowed by DM trainees is pretty high. Several dives with CTD I had my own since I film in areas that others often move past. One dive 4 of us were shadowed by 6 DM's, their instructor and our DM/Instructor. Nobody was getting lost on that trip...lol. None of it cost us anything extra. Actually every shop will put at least one DM in the water on every boat dive.

You don't need/want a car in the West End - even anywhere on Roatan unless you rent a private house where it's necessary - you can be involved in a big hassle if you hit something. Cabs are all over, prices are generally negotiable - except to the airport - and relatively decently maintained. The whole area is contained within a mile or less and West Bay is two miles by taxi or water taxi.

West Bay has the nicest on Roatan beach - it's about 2 miles farther west. Most of those shops/resorts dive right off the beach - you wade out to the boat with your gear. The cruise ship excursions also know how nice the beach is so it can be crowded during the day. Bananarama, Infinity Bay, Mayan Princess are options. All have on-site dive operations.

hth, post more of what you're looking for (location, budget, amenities, proximity to restaurants/nightlife etc.) and someone may have a better suggestion.

Last edited:
Welcome to diving and to ScubaBoard

Welcome to the fold! Be sure to dive as much as you can in varied environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom