Ultimate Getaway-Dry Tortuga spearfishing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2muchtime

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello. I am new to the forum and was checking to see if you guys could help with with some information about spear fishing, lobstering, and this specific boat.

I have been diving since 2005 with my wife, but we may go three years between dives. We have been to Belize twice, and Cozumel once. I am comfortable with these type of reef dives down to 80-95 ft. I have right at 50 dives logged but almost all of them have been small groups with the dive master close by. My wife and I will try to get 3 days of 2 tank diving in and a night dive on each vacation. We just got back from Belize in May. We planned a trip based on the snapper spawn for the whale shark diving. The trip was great, but I did not like diving in blue water at all. I got very anxious. We were at 80 ft for about 20 minutes with no fish, no sand, no bottom. It freaked me out a little bit. I was fine, i was just very ready for it it be over. I used my air about 25% quicker than i normally do so i had to watch the whale sharks from my safety stop, with everyone else got to swim with them at 90 ft. So far thats all I have done that I didn't like. Point being that I am not brand new to diving, but Im not about to load my own boat with my gear and hit the gulf.

My wife wants no part of a live aboard, so i am going with a friend who has less than 10 dives.
A few questions for the board.
1) what types of dives do the spear fishing and lobstering take place?
2) how deep is the typical dive in dry tortuga?
3) would this be considered an "advanced trip"
4) is the staff pretty hands on, or is it a do your own thing kind of trip?

And any advice is welcome!

Thanks for the feedback.

A few questions for the board.
1) what types of dives do the spear fishing and lobstering take place?
2) how deep is the typical dive in dry tortuga?
3) would this be considered an "advanced trip"
4) is the staff pretty hands on, or is it a do your own thing kind of trip?

And any advice is welcome!

Thanks for the feedback.

10 dives is not very many to be doing 7 or 8 dives a day with Rick. I'd call and ask him before you sign up. This is all live boat diving and hot drops, so you and your buddy need to be pretty comfortable before you go.

1) The dives take place on a coral reef as shallow as 80 feet and as deep as 130 feet. Most divers opt to bring their own tanks, or use the UGs steel 95s. You may dive when the boat isn't in transit, when you aren't eating, and when your tank is filled. Many divers get 7-8 dives per day, and a night dive is not offered. You will be hot dropped on a reef, swim around to shoot your fish, while dealing with your fish, gun, and "other fish" around you, shoot your DSMB to let the Captain know you are on your way op, surface away from the boat (it's important to not surface under the boat), surface, climb the ladder and get your tank filled. You will be responsible for your own dive profiles and bottom times and planning your own dives.

2) again, the reefs vary from 80-130 feet, with a very few shallower than that.

3) I would not consider it a trip for newbs. I would speak with Rick before bringing someone with 10 dives.

4. Depends on what you mean by hands on. They will fill your tanks, feed you, and take the boat to where you want to go. What else do you need them to do?

To be fair, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I operate the other 100 foot boat in the Dry Tortugas. I am friends with Capt. Rick, as we don't service the same client. I have never dived from the UG because that kind of diving doesn't appeal to me. One day, Rick and I will go dive together, but it will probably be on rebreathers on some deep wreck.

I did this trip on Ultimate Getaways when I had about 30 dives under my belt. I had hoped to do the photography trip but got thrown on a boat with spearfishermen and we did a few days outside the park where it was legal to shoot fish and take lobsters erc. It was my first liveaboard and I loved every minute of it.

Depths were 80ish from what I recall. We rarely went 130.

I did not find it to be a big challenge except that a lot of it was drift dives and you need to know how to use a safety sausage because that is the only way the boat will be able to see you. We would come up to the surface in scattered groups and would wave our safety sausages to be picked up.

The wreck of Baja California was one of the best wreck dives I have ever done. The giant groupers were the size of cows. I heard nice things about the airforce relay tower but I sat that dive out because of an equipment failure.

Rick has a great crew. I dont know if Dustin and those guys are still running the boat but they were very helpful and accommodating towards all experience levels. I plan on doing the same trip again but would like to do it on board the MV Spree. Spree does the same trip but I think they also try to hit Vandenberg in the same run? I dont know if the Spree does Baja California and the relay tower though.

Wookie could perhaps shed some more light on his Dry Tortugas Itinerary.

We do not go to the Baja or the Air Force tower., We spend 2 days inside the TER-N or DRTO, then dive the Vandenberg on the last morning, and have you back to the dock right after lunch.

I didn't see it on your profile so I would suggest that you get AOW before your trip as well.

We do not go to the Baja or the Air Force tower., We spend 2 days inside the TER-N or DRTO, then dive the Vandenberg on the last morning, and have you back to the dock right after lunch.

What is TER-N and DRTO?

Going to PM. It isn't right to talk about another boat in a boat thread.

Back
Top Bottom