Greetings from East Timor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver-greg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been lurking on the Scuba Board for quite some time, and have learned a great deal from the experience of many of its members. I decided that its time I actually started posting some messages. So, here is a brief introduction.

I have been working in East Timor for almost two years, but my permanent home is in South Carolina. Last year I was certified as a NAUI Divemaster, #41709, but I have just successfully completed an IANTD instructor development program and am waiting for my instructor number.

My day job is working with the public broadcasting service of East Timor (radio and TV).

We are very lucky to be here in East Timor, although work and life can be challenging in this, the newest country in the world. The diving is incredible. We have more than 25 dive sites within an hour's drive of the capital, and they are all easy shore entries. Within a few meters of shore we are able to drop down onto beautiful reefs with tons of fish.

Come see us in East Timor - a real diving adventure.

Greg

Glad to have you with us... but, uh where is East Timor? Sounds familiar, but I just can't place it.

Welcome to the board Greg.
Seems to me that they had a serious conflict there a couple of years ago. I chatted with another diver from there on this board right after the war. Could it be near Indonesia?

Joe

Yes, it is near Indonesia. Specifically it is Southeastern Asia, northwest of Australia, at the eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago.

For more information see:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tt.html#Geo
http://www.discoverdili.com/

And yes, the nation recently went through a horrendous period in 1999 after 24 years of occupation by Indonesia. It is currently a very peaceful place that is rebuilding every bit of infrastructure, and building a new society under the sovereign control of the Timorese, for the first time in 450 years.

Howdy Greg!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

We have an Instructors Only forum, but I hope you'll hang otu with us, too...

don

:D

Thanks for the welcome. I will get involved, and have already started posting. I just received my instructor number today:), so I'll apply to join the instructor forum.

Greg
---
Greg Kintz
IANTD EANx Instructor #4512

I am an newbie to SCUBABOARD and would like to second Greg's invitation to come visit us in East Timor. There is a misconception out there that East Timor is not a safe, stable place. On the contrary, it is a great place to get away from the traffic, beach pollution, and tourist packed dive sites that are typical of Indonesia. Come get wet with us!

-Nick

I heard good things about the diving in East Timor while spending time as a scuba bum in Thailand and Malaysia last year. I'm curious how the price of living and the quality of diving compare with locations on Indonesia and the Philippines since I will be heading in that direction for 5 months. You make it sound mighty tempting to include some time in East Timor. Also, is there any good surfing to be had there?

Kupu,

Timor is more expensive than Bali and Manado for example, but there are some less expensive options. Check out www.timordivers.net and go to the information section to get contact information for hotels here. The prices have not been updated recently and you probably will be quoted lower rates than those listed on the page.

After diving the raved about Bunaken, I can safely say that the coral reefs here are more spectacular. Send an email when you decide to come and our Timor Diver Network club can show you around.

As for surfing, our North shore is protected from big wave action and surfing is not so good. Makes our shore dives a lot more relaxed though!

Come, you'll love it!!

Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom