Grenada in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bayondai

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove in Grenada? I am thinking about going there in December, but I really don't know much about Grenada. How is the diving compaired to Cozumel or Grand Cayman?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Grenada was lovely topside, but still hasn't fully recovered from hurricane damage in
'04 & '05.

IMHO, the diving never was anything special and certainly not up to the standards of CZM of GC.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks DocVikingo... I just realized there was no direct flight from NJ and the layover is at least 8-12 hours no matter what day I go and it also doesn't matter where the layover is, so it looks like I won't be going there. Oh Well... I was trying to find somewhere to go with my wife who doesn't dive that isn't terribly expensive. She just requires a nice sandy beach where it is relitively safe and I need some good diving.
Thanks,
Mike

You've got lots of choices that meet those desiderata, Mike.

Check out Barbados and Providenciales (TCI).

Have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

bayondai,
have you considered going to cozumel?
the ai resorts on the southern end of the island might have what your wife is looking for.
there are lots of good dive ops that can custom fit your diving needs.
do a search on here and you will find lots of trip reports with lots of info that may help you.
regards,

Weather... not much concern:
Grenada at that time of year is exposed to the waning days of the post-season for tropical storms. If any spawn over the equitorial path from Africa, before they get mashed by the Caribbean air, there is an outside chance that they will take a swipe at Grenada. Not tops on your list of concerns. At the worst, maybe a little drizzle.

As far as the diving goes?
Most only know Grenada from one perspective. 98% of the visiting divers have only been diving out of the main population center at the Southern tip of the island, largely to the West. Here, many vacationers have been exposed to the so-called "signature" dive, the Bianca-C Italian Cruise liner with the odd juxtaposition of it's sunken aft-deck swimming pool... now at depth.

During the short period of time that a liveaboard serviced the island, it really only touched the tip of the wealth of diving that this unexplored jewel has to offer. It was not there long.

The best diving on Grenada lies on the difficult to access North East coast. In and around the barrier islands. It is similar to the structures one finds on the NE end of Tobago.

You can arrange a dive charter to this area, but you should take a vehicle and ride over early in the morning and meet your dive boat on that end.

It can be done, it can be arranged. It aint easy. Nothing that is very good is very easy. There are simpler places to get the same effects and rewards (as in Tobago), but if you're hell bent on Grenada... have at it.

Rent the DVD of the TV show Going to Extremes... it was modeled on Grenada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom