Grenada vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my first whale shark dive day they never sent anyone to pick me up. I was supposed to be picked up at 8:15 am. I waited from 8:10 am till 8:30 am. Then I returned to my apartment and emailed them and also contacted them through their website. I got no reply till 7:30 pm. (strike 2).

It's a bit off topic and there were too many issues with your trip to solve but as a rule it seems like wherever I go in the Caribbean they use whatsapp over text or email. I establish whatsapp contact in advance with whomever I will need to work with (dive shops, shuttle services, hotels, etc.) and that has saved me lots of stress knowing I can get in touch within minutes.

It's a bit off topic and there were too many issues with your trip to solve but as a rule it seems like wherever I go in the Caribbean they use whatsapp over text or email. I establish whatsapp contact in advance with whomever I will need to work with (dive shops, shuttle services, hotels, etc.) and that has saved me lots of stress knowing I can get in touch within minutes.
Ditto this, and not just in the Caribbean...also Indonesia, Egypt, etc. WhatsApp rules.

Thanks. I was considering Grenada for a trip with my wife. She only snorkels but loves to hike. I want someplace with the marine life of Bonaire and outdoor activities like hiking, waterfalls, etc. Maybe a return to Dominica.
Have you considered Costa Rica? The diving is nothing like Bonaire, but it is interesting, and the topside activities are best-in-class

Been to both, Grenada by cruise ship and Bonaire by land and cruise ship. Grenada is a great couple of tanks but that's about it. Bonaire is a great diving and surprisingly a great little downtown area with booming restaurants and nightlife. Editing to add more about Bonaire diving, the whole island pretty much has a reef around it but most of you're dives will be on the west side of the island. There east side has a strong current and is generally better but at least when we went, the viz was pretty bad. There are lots of seahorses but you'll probably need a guide to find them, roughly $50/tank.

As great as that was, I don't understand why more people do not consider Hawaii.

In Oahu you have to the south, the SeaTiger wreck, to the West you have Electric Beach where the water appears neon blue with only sand on the bottom but you'll nearly guaranteed to see Rays and Large Turtles, to the North, you have the North Shore which is full of marine life and to the East, the china wall also full of marine life. You then can snorkel with sharks, can do so from in or out of a shark cage.

In the Big Island, you have Kona. If you're really really lucky, you could see the local celebrity tiger shark, Laveran. You have the night dive with Manta Rays and some of the best Pelagic/Blackwater (tethered to the boat at night when the pelagic marine life comes up to the near the surface to feed.

There are a lot of octopus on all islands, they are the "day" or the species which actively hunts in the daytime and its not uncommon to see them hunting/swimming going from rock to rock.

Hawaii should be faster and easier to get to for most people compared to a Caribbean Island and you're still in America. If you think hotels are too expensive look into rentals including those on airbnb

Been to both, Grenada by cruise ship and Bonaire by land and cruise ship. Grenada is a great couple of tanks but that's about it. Bonaire is a great diving and surprisingly a great little downtown area with booming restaurants and nightlife. As great as that was, I don't understand why more people do not consider Hawaii.

In Oahu you have to the south, the SeaTiger wreck, to the West you have Electric Beach where the water appears neon blue with only sand on the bottom but you'll nearly guaranteed to see Rays and Large Turtles, to the North, you have the North Shore which is full of marine life and to the East, the china wall also full of marine life. You then can snorkel with sharks, can do so from in or out of a shark cage.

In the Big Island, you have Kona. If you're really really lucky, you could see the local celebrity tiger shark, Laveran. You have the night dive with Manta Rays and some of the best Pelagic/Blackwater (tethered to the boat at night when the pelagic marine life comes up to the near the surface to feed.

There are a lot of octopus on all islands, they are the "day" or the species which actively hunts in the daytime and its not uncommon to see them hunting/swimming going from rock to rock.

Hawaii should be faster and easier to get to for most people compared to a Caribbean Island and you're still in America. If you think hotels are too expensive look into rentals including those on airbnb
I just checked. Travel time from Albany NY are no where as bad as I expected. More surprising, prices for first class are not a whole lot more than premium economy. About twice, or a bit more, time to get there, than to Bonaire, but these prices for first class and only one stop. It's a no brainer. Thanks for the information and the idea.

Just returned from Bonaire few weeks ago (our first trip). IMHO -->
Diving? - I will recommend Bonaire over Grenada, although I found Bonaire more expensive than Granada. Non-Divers in the group will prefer Grenada over Bonaire.

I just checked. Travel time from Albany NY are no where as bad as I expected. More surprising, prices for first class are not a whole lot more than premium economy. About twice, or a bit more, time to get there, than to Bonaire, but these prices for first class and only one stop. It's a no brainer. Thanks for the information and the idea.

We literally just landed from Bonaire this past Sunday and are already planning our next Hawaii trip. We've been to Hawaii 7 times since they eliminated the two week quarantine in Nov 2020 (Kauai was summer of 2021), yet we're only a 5.5ish hour flight away. Some other ideas to bounce around, inter-island flights can be under $50 (plus baggage fees and Hawaiian airlines does status match and maybe one can get free bags). Maui and Kauai are generally the most expensive, Kauai the viz usually is pretty bad but you do have a chance to hang out monk seals and you'll see plenty of large turtles. Kauai has boats that go out to the "forbidden island", I think it's currently $600/person, we booked it last summer and didn't get to go due to the unexpected boat issues. We've never dove Maui as lodging has been insane but we did stay in Oahu, kept our luggage in Oahu, took the earliest flight to Maui and then the latest flight back to Oahu. If you can swing a trip to both Oahu and Kona (the Big Island) that's what I'd recommend. If you want Kona's blackwater dive, double check the availability as usually different shops offer it during different nights of the week

Saba. Diving and hiking.
My husband and I were there last fall and loved it. We also love the town, people and food.

Back
Top Bottom