Barbados Diving Operators Mini-Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetEar

Registered
Reaction score
My wife & I just spent a week on Barbados (April 2009), went diving with 3 different outfits & spoke with a couple more. Here are our comments on what we learnt, in the hope it's perhaps useful for others planning on diving there.

Our first couple of dives were with Barbados Blue, the largest dive operator on the island and frequently referred to in these forums. They operate out of the Hilton hotel. The dives were Friars Craig (a broken up wreck & surrounding reef) and Carlisle Bay (a bunch of wrecks). Both are excellent dives. Barbados Blue has some decent equipment & nice folks. However our big complaint with them, and the reason we would NOT recommend them or dive with them again, is because they run timed dives. With Barbados Blue you get a 35 to 40 minute dive; that's it. For example, on our second dive, with lots of great stuff to see, lots of bottom time remaining, etc, we had to surface while still having 1400 PSI. Very annoying & frustrating. Talking with others on the island, Barbados Blue has a reputation for this: short timed dives, and all their dives are kick kick kick - very difficult to slow down to look at things, take photos, etc. Unless you're someone who sucks a tank dry in 30 minutes, I'd suggest avoiding this outfit.
Dive Barbados Blue - Scuba and Snorkel with PADI’s Best at the Hilton

Our next couple of dives were with Reefers & Wreckers, at the northern end of the island. We specifically wanted to dive a wreck called the Pamir, and a second dive of their choosing (turned out to be a reef called Brightledge). Both were excellent dives. We really liked this outfit. Decent gear, really pleasant relaxed & very helpful folks, and no imposed restrictions. In the case of the Pamir dive, we followed their divemaster around as he gave us a tour of the wreck & nearby "yellow submarine", then afterwards with plenty of air remaining the two of us simply wandered around the wreck looking at things & taking photos until our air was up. Others who'd dived the wreck before just buddied up & did their own thing. To my way of thinking, this is how it should be, and we enjoyed it. We'd very happily dive with these folks again.
Welcome | Reefers & Wreckers Dive Shop Barbados

Our final dive was with an outfit called Underwater Barbados. We wanted to do another dive in Carlisle Bay (a full dive, not a truncated Barbados Blue version) and actually had a tough time finding a dive operator because 4 (four!) cruise ships had pulled in & suddenly the island was flooded with people. By a combination of luck & circumstance we ended up with Michael from Underwater Barbados, joining him as he & his crew took a boatload of cruiseship passengers snorkelling. Michael used to do a lot of diving, running lots of people through, but found that work very tiring & now predominantly runs groups of snorkellers, with only an occasional few divers. We had a very enjoyable hour underwater with Michael exploring the wrecks & he's someone else we would happily dive with again.
Underwater Barbados

Aside from the outfits listed above, we also spoke with a couple of others.

"Eco Divers" we really liked, and we chatted with them a couple of times. A small outfit, they run a max of 5 divers at a time, and have a relaxed easy-going attitude. No timed dives, and they cater to photographers (the fellow who runs the shop is a keen photographer), so the pace is relaxed & patient. We would have liked to dive with them, but they were closing up shop for a week to go diving themselves on St Lucia when we spoke with them.
Barbados Diving: Eco Dive Barbados

"The Dive Shop" we spoke to a couple of times, and they've been recommended on these forums, but we just couldn't make anything happen with them. The big problem was that we'd ask the simple question, "Where are you planning on diving tomorrow?" and they'd always answer, "We don't know". What these folks wanted us to do was to sign up with them, pay our money, get on board the boat, and then they'd decide where they would go diving. Well that didn't really didn't appeal to us. We didn't want to commit our day & our money to get on a boat which could then potentially decide to do dives we didn't want to do (either because they'd be outside our abilities, or because we'd just done those dives the day before). We understand that plans can change because of conditions, but at least start with a plan, and these folks never seemed to have a clue.
The Dive Shop Ltd. - SCUBA DIVING IN BARBADOS!

That's it. We had a great time on Barbados. I hope this helps anyone else thinking about diving there.

Thanks for the tips. Did any of them offer Nitrox?

I don't know. You could probably ask them though - links to all of them are there.

My son, daughter in law, and I went with Eco Dive in January. We had a great time and Andrew and his crew run a first class operation.

Give John Moore a try with Dive Barbados LTD.

Thanks for the tips. I'm heading to Bardados in May for a long weekend and have been trying to decide who to dive with. Thought I had decided on Eco Dive but read something about them not being open on a Sunday (which is the day I want to dive...birthday diving :eek:p). Does anyone know if that's true?

Thx

I dive with Barbados Blue about 10 out of 15 dives per trip and The Dive Shop the rest of the time when on the island. In five visits I don't recall ever having a time limit with BB. actually did a 75 minute dive on the wrecks in Carlisle bay and many drift dives an hour long or more if shallow towards the end. Both shops have scheduled dives to particular sites, say the Stav first dive Wednesday mornings, but usually the site is discussed with the divers considering experience, type of dive and last dive or two done on the island by the customers. If I dive with either company a few dives and or days in a row they are always concerned with not taking me to the same sites all the time. I would imagine that has something to do with not knowing where a dive will be ahead of time. I realize it's hard to make a good judjment in just one week but I have made around 60 dives on the island and would recomend Barbados Blue anytime.

Going in a few weeks to Barbados with my fiancee. We are both certified. Barbados Blue has a special for $200.00 for 5 dives and includes free use of a wet suit (along with the gear). Sounds like a good deal. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with them.

My son, daughter in law, and I went with Eco Dive in January. We had a great time and Andrew and his crew run a first class operation.

I wish I would have had the same experience with Eco Dive. I just got back from Barbados yesterday, I though I had a dive set up with Eco Dive. I made all of the arrangements with Andrew for him to pick me up at the resort on Thursday morning for a nice day of diving…..was I wrong. The guy never showed up to pick me up, I called and got no answer. He knew were I was staying and what days, he could have called and let me know he wasn’t able to make it or some thing broke (I am a realist, I know things happen). I thought that he would have had the common courtesy to let me know, Andrew knew I had a very small window in which I could safely dive due to travel. I will by no mean recommend Eco Dive Barbados to anyone due to the proven unprofessionalism exhibited by them.

We just got back from Barbados and dove with John Moore of Dive Barbados. We had a great time with John as he does not rush you through any dive and allows you to take your time for looking around and photos. Not to mention that John is fabulous at finding seahorses as well as pointing out many other species. We would definitely dive with John again when we return to Barbados.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom