Curacao Diving trip report (April 28 -- May 9)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I and my lovely (and patient) wife made our first trip to Curacao for almost two weeks. My focus was to dive, unfortunately my wife cannot, so she spent the time reading trashy novels and enjoying the beaches.

We stayed in Boca Sami (about 20 km from Willemstat) in a private residence where the owner rents out a top floor studio apt. For us the location was ideal, it was on the water with a lovely covered patio and was right at Snake Bay.

We found Curaco to be quite lovely, not quite as much non-diving local interest stuff to see as we had hoped, but it is quite a treat to be able to drink water from the tap :D

I got my tanks from "Dive Vederfoort", Eric has retired but the current owner (Patrick) was very helpful. I dove EAN32 for the entire trip

Overall I was quite impressed with the health of the reefs on Curacao. I saw very little bleaching and the sponge/corals seemed quite healthy. Lots of reef fish, my only complaint was that I didn't see much macro life. (although I did spot a Spanish lobster) I may have not been looking in the right place(s), but I was certainly going slow enough. There was quite a bit of wind for the first week and the locals complained about poor visibility (my guess would be 60'-70')

I was diving solo (with an AL19 pony) and was only refused once (Blue Bay). I took lots of pictures, but haven't had time to edit them yet.

In no particular order I dove:

Boca Sami
Snake Bay x4
Kokomo Beach
San Juan/Shon Mosa x2
San Juan/Playa Mansalinat
Playa Lagu
Playa Jerimi
Playa Porto Marie x3
Playa Kalki (Alice in Wonderland) x2
Playa Hundu
Cas Abou x2
Playa Grade Piscado
Playa Daai Booi
Habitat
Marie Pampoin

Would I return? Absolutely. Lovely diving, lovely people, no problems with crime

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom