Barbados or St. Vincent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm an Advanced Diver who has been to all the great dive destinations in The Caribbean. However, I've never been to Barbados nor St. Vincent.

I'd like to hear from divers who have been to either (or both) about the quality of the diving, where to stay, & what to do on these islands.

Thanks so much!

Barry

St Vincent has some magnificent dive sites and is a relatively unspoiled island with mountains, rainforest, and uncrowded beaches compared to heavily populated flat thoroughly developed Barbados. There are some very nice dive sites on the calm side of Barbados, and it's much easier to get to. More expensive, too, but with lots of amenities and nightlife.

Barbados isn't in the same league as other destinations in my opinion. Much lower vis (15-30') and the coral isn't spectacular. The life is moderate, not much for big stuff but some turtles and a few seahorses. I was there working but got a weeks worth of diving in. A great dive however was the wreck "Stavronika" a signature dive there. It was ok overall but not a place I would choose over others.

St Vincent is one of our favorite Caribbean destinations, there is lots of interesting macro stuff. (If you need to see big stuff you might not be happy there.) IMO the best diving is further north up the coast from where the resorts mostly are - we've been there on all day trips with Dive St Vincent, and by liveaboard. I don't know if the other shop Indigo Divers goes further north, someone I know dove with them and said they stayed pretty close to the resort (though their web site says they've moved out of the Buccament Bay resort so who knows now.)

Nice dives in the grenadines, which is a part of Saint Vincent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom