questions on Hartenberger lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
About a year ago my husband found a Hartenberger Mini Compact light on a reef. It was still just barely glowing when he found it. I believe it's an older version (ribbed on the outside not smooth) and well scuffed up. But it looks pristine inside, I suspect from pictures it may be a newer battery pack, not that I know what an older one would look like. Obviously we don't have a charger for it and at the time couldn't find a US distributor. Just today I saw an ad for backscatter.com saying they distribute Hartenberger so I'm looking into it again.

So I can't decide what to do with this. I suppose it's a good/expensive find but we dive tropical and aren't into bright lights. I know I can dial it back but it's also heavy and I'm trying to make my luggage lighter. (Not to mention it probably looks like a bomb!) Is this light so great for some reason it's worth my spending like $125 on a charger, which is way more than I have ever spent on a whole light? How would it compare to something like a Princeton Tec Shockwave II rechargable (a light I've considered which is in that price range) or a primary-worthy LED?

Alternatively I suppose I could either try and sell it or continue to use it as a paperweight...

not sure about that particular model but hartenbergers have a great reputation among underwater photographers. While I don't own one myself I have seen them in action as my dive buddy has a couple hartenbergers. They do give off a nice warm color and the electronic control to dial up/down the intensity.

if you do decide to sell it, pm me, I might be interested :wink:

edit: oh whoops, didn't realize you mentioned it was the mini compact. It's a nice light for nite dives on tropical reefs and even does a good job of bringing reef color out during the day.

pakman:
not sure about that particular model but hartenbergers have a great reputation among underwater photographers.
to do what exactly? (My husband is into photography, but is already working with 2 strobes.)

Back
Top Bottom